We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palenque side trips

1 post
Save Topic
Palenque side trips

Ola,

My husband and I are returning to the Yucatan in February 2006. We plan on spending several days in San Cristobal de Las Casas at Na Bolom. We also plan to see Palenque. We will be traveling (driving) from Campeche and realize we will probably have to stop between Camoeche and San Cristobal (most likely Palenque). While we are in Chiapas we want to visit Yaxchilan and Bonampak as well as Lacanja. What is our best way to do this? We���d like to spend 1 night in Lacanja at Campamento Rio Lacanja. What is the best way we can do this? Because we���ll be overnighting in Palenque on our way in and out is it possible to meet one of your trips in Palenque? Please help us plan this part of our trip.

handelmb@localnet.com

Guatemala
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Palenque side trips

You've got a great trip ahead of you. Na Balom is a wonderful place. I hope you reserved one of the cabins. If you haven't made reservations in Palenque, I highly recommend the Chan Kah (near the ruins). Set aside a full day to see Palenque. The following day, you can drive to Bonampak. The site is quite small, and can be explored in a couple of hours max. Get up early the next morning to drive to Frontera Corrazal and catch the boat to Yaxchilan. I really liked this site. It is much larger than I expected and very interesting. We spent about four hours there -- we would have stayed longer, but our kids were whining. If you don't stay too long at Yaxchilan, you could drive back to Palenque the same day. I wouldn't recommend you drive that road after dark, though. If you want to spend more time in the Lacandon jungle, you should build an extra day into your itinerary. A word about the Campamento Rio Lacanja -- don't expect much. The cabins are quite small, with only narrow bunk beds. Mosquitos are a big issue, as the river by the camp is mostly stagnant. There are many other camps nearby, so you might want to look around before you check in.