We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

We are planning to travel, hopefully on a day tour from San Cristobal to Pelanque. Our guide book suggests it is almost common to be robbed on the route Agua Azul to Pelanque which is worrying me! Does anyone have any advice or can confirm how common this is? We will be travelling with all our gear so keen to avoid losing it!

Viajes Itzaa
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Jaguar Adventours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours
Explorando Chiapas
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

Will you be driving or riding a bus?

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

I drove that route a couple of months ago and the road is too busy, at least during the day, to be a suitable place for common robberies. I didn't hear anything bad either. Even the tour operators, while trying to convince me to ride with them instead, focused on the hazards of driving and never mentioned anything about safety. I also asked the locals before starting and they said there was no problem.

By the way, leave the stress in London and take a bus. Do not drive.

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

We're planning to take a bus I think. I feel a bit better about it now so thanks!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

You will feel robbed when you get to Agua Azul and they charge you twice for entering. One group of landowners owns Agua Azul itself, while a different one owns the road that takes you there, so both of them will charge you. It's part of the deal they made with the government. It all amounts to less than 5USD or something, though.

California
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

I spent some time in Chiapas and drove through the area between San Cristobal and Palenque a couple of times. The reality of the reported highway robberies in this area appears to be realted to the young girls and boys sit by the road and sell produce and crafts. Occasionally, they will hold a rope across the road, which would make most drivers stop. However, it is held by a person (usually a child) on one end. Thus, just keep driving and they will drop the rope. I witnessed this several times. And, the tour vans know well enough to keep driving and they will drop it at the last second or else they will get hurt. Obviously, don't drive through the ropes at the entrances to Agua Azul or Misol Ha cause they are legit and you will likely have people chasing you down.

This is by no means implying that real highway robberies do not occur in Chiapas. And, keep in mind these children are often accompanied by adults and I have "heard" if you stop, some of them have done more than sell you goods.

6. Re: Travelling San Cristobal to Pelanque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 12:18