We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

Which San Cristobal de las Casas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

Hello,

I will traveling to Palenque at the end of November en route to Veracruz. Since my time is slightly limited, I have a dilemma - is it worth checking San Cristobal or better to head to Veracruz directly?

If in San Cristobal, how many days would you recommend to stay?

Thanks

Maciej

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

We spent 5 nights in SC in early 2007. We loved it! It's a beautiful, interesting area of Mexico. We wanted to go there years ago, but kept putting it off for 1 reason or another - glad we finally made it. So yes, it's definitely worth visiting!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

just got back from Mexico, spent about 3 days in SC..loved it, wish I could've stayed longer, it's a really nice colonial town, also, LOTS of tourists.

R

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

We just returned from Mexico and Guatemala...San Cristobal was very nice but it was VERY full of tourists. Hardly any Americans, mainly 20-something backpacking, "hippie" types...lots of Israelis and Dutch. But all were very nice people. Prices were higher than we expected them to be. But there is a GREAT market where all the locals shop up over the hill, near the collectivo station. Fresh food and really cheap!

About SCdelasC, my husband and I liked it a lot, but I can say that after 5 days there our teen (16) daughter was bored. We did do countryside excursions--Chamula, Zinacantan, horseback riding--but the city itself wasn't very stimulating for her. We were okay with it.

Just an aside, our daughter LOVED Panajachel, Guatemala which was way smaller than SCdelasC. Go figure.

4. Re: San Cristobal - is it worth the time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 15:17