We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to Chiapas-few questions

Which San Cristobal de las Casas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travelling to Chiapas-few questions

Hi I am travelling to Chiapas in early September and have a few questions for anyone in the know...

First, what is the weather like early to mid September? I hear it is the last month of the rainy season. How cold is it? What kind of clothes are the smartest to bring?

Also, I was wondering about the best things to do other than the zoo in Tuxla where I will spend the first few days?

I am staying in SC at the backpackers hostel for a few days when I first get there. Any thoughts on this?

A few more questions...how realistic is it to want to go to the Lacodon jungle without taking an eco tour? I don't want to go by myself, but I would like to avoid paying about $400 for it... Also I was wondering about safety about travelling as a female and those types of things...

Any other advice regarding how to get the most of my trip would be very much appreciated! Muchas gracias!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to Chiapas-few questions

I have lived here for many years. Did you research previous posts or google info before posting your question? Most will be answered by a good search, either here or elsewhere.

The weather will still be rainy season so prepare yourself with raincoat, hat, warm stuff, etc. The zoo in Tuxtla is very fine but only for a day, not "few days." Not much more to do in the Tuxtla area, other than the half day canyon trip.

There are tons of hostels in SC so choose what you wish from another google search. Honestly, they are "always" backpacker hostels, as is the case internationally.

Traveling as a female is no problem here, as long as you have a decent sense, not out late at night, etc., but to go to the Lacandon jungle, you must either know a lot about what you are doing and where you are going, or go with a group. From what you have said, clearly go with a group. It is a beautiful and wonderful area but not without knowledge.

Enjoy but be careful

sacramento
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to Chiapas-few questions

Thanks for the reply. I have googled many different Chiapas related topics but thought those who have been there may have some more specific advice. Regarding the hostels, I meant to say I am staying at a specific one called BackPackers Hostel. I was wanting some information on what people thought regarding that particular hostel.

I am a pretty smart traveller so I doubt I will run into problems. Sounds like according to you, there is not much to see in Tuxtla Gutierrez other than the zoo?

Thanks, Laura

3. Re: travelling to Chiapas-few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 09:19