We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip from Xela, Guatemala?

Chicago, Illinois
14 posts
Save Topic
Side trip from Xela, Guatemala?

I am considering taking an extended weekend and visiting San Cristobal from Xela. Is the trip worth it for only three days? Are there any local (cheap) buses that travel from Xela to SC, or is it better to go through a company? I will cross post this in the Xela forums as well.

Thanks.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip from Xela, Guatemala?

(We just chatted on the Nica forum.) I'm also hoping to visit San Cristobal sometime soon, and personally would allocate one to two weeks for the town and area. (That's going on past experience, as the one week I'd budgeted for Oaxaca city somehow became three.) San Cristobal sounds like a very attractive town, and I'm sold.

IIRC, one of my Mexican guidebooks mentions that there are tourist shuttles from SC directly into Guatemala, so the odds are good about the same thing in reverse.

Again, I'm not speaking from personal experience here, but my research - and some word of mouth - does have me excited about going. I may very well fly into Guatemala City and make a slow loop between there and SC, perhaps taking a month. We'll see.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Southern Mexico, Mexico
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
2. Re: Side trip from Xela, Guatemala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 15:21