We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiapas in 5-6 days - Car Rental or Bus?

Boston
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chiapas in 5-6 days - Car Rental or Bus?

Hi, we are three adults traveling together to Chiapas and Guatemala for 12 days around Christmas. We are hoping to see as much of Chiapas as possible in 5-6 days: Sumidero, Palenque & surroundings, San Cristobal, and perhaps some other major sites.

We are trying to decide whether to rent a car (we are flying into TGZ) or use public transport/taxis. Budget is not a huge concern. We feel that the main advantage a car is freedom of movement. Our main concerns are the quality of roads and safety, especially around Palenque. Will it be much more inconvenient or slower by bus? Will it be safer? Any general thoughts, experiences, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiapas in 5-6 days - Car Rental or Bus?

I did the whole driving thing a couple of years ago and it was very stressful, and I have been driving in Mexican roads all my life. I'd strongly recommend public transportation.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiapas in 5-6 days - Car Rental or Bus?

I have traveled Chiapas for years, and I would not consider driving after having done it twice.

The mountain roads are gut wrenching, roads are narrow, lots of truck traffic and construction.You cannot drive at night , that is a given.

The bus system in Mexico is very efficient.

5-6 days should be plenty of time to see the sites you mentioned.

research it well as there are other interesting archaeological sites and many side trips you can take.

If you need a guide email me I know a fantastic one that can take you places you would generally not have the privilege of visiting

3. Re: Chiapas in 5-6 days - Car Rental or Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 05:26