We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

Hartford, CT
2 posts
Save Topic
Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

I am traveling from New York to San Cristobal de las Casas in August, 2010. I am finding that it is cheaper to fly through Cancun.

Does anyone know an airline besides Mexicana that flies from Cancun to San Cristobal or Tuxtla Gutierrez? The links I have found are old and do not work.

Alternatively, is there a bus line that runs from Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas? The "search" option on

ticketbus.com.mx does not work at all. It always says,

"No existen corridas disponibles". Is this because August is so far away and they don't know the schedule? I also tried travel to Tuxtla G. and get the same result.

Would really like to know if there are any small charter airlines between Cancun and either SDC or TGZ. Or, if anyone can RECOMMEND a bus line that would work for this route.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited: 10 February 2010, 16:26
conosur24
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

check this link..

…about.com/od/planes/qt/mexico_cheap_ai.htm

Hartford, CT
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

Thank your for your response. For the benefit of those following this link in Feb. 2010, I will let you know that none of those airlines listed on that link you sent serve San Cristobal de las Casas, with the exception of "Click", which is really Mexicana and costs twice what my flight from NYC to Cancun costs. Aviacsa is involved in some problem that won't allow it to fly; the other airlines don't go to TGZ or Chiapas (from what I can see).

I will check out the other links that are on that website for a clue to bus transport. I know that I can find the schedule for this month on ADO GL... just not for any date beyond March.

As an aside... is there any problem with driving a rental car around Chiapas to explore the various Mayan sites? I'm talking about robbery and danger more than road quality. I know it's a long drive from Cancun, but it looks beautiful.

Muchas Gracias,

tbm

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

The link you were given is way out of date (2005/6) and therefore a waste of your time. That's what happens when you google for information I'm afraid, since the search engine does not come up with the latest information.

There are definitely buses from Cancun to SCC, but it's a 24 hour ride. s you discovered, the reason you did not find any on the Ticketbus web site is that timetables are usually only available for the next month or two, since they change all the time.

When I did the journey some10 years ago, I travelled Cancun-Palenque overnight, spent a day or two there to see the ruins, then continued to SCC (another 6 hours or so).

Mexicana appears to fly from Merida to Tuxtla, which is the nearest airport for SCC. But, as you have discovered, internal flights in Mexico are not necessarily cheap.

Good luck with your trip planning.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 14:56
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

A rental car is probably going to eat up all the money you saved on your cheap air ticket. Safety is a slight issue these days, but providing you don't drive at night you'd be OK if you speak a bit of Spanish for when you get lost. Others may disagree!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,376 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

"the reason you did not find any on the Ticketbus web site is that timetables are usually only available for the next month or two, since they change all the time." Partly true--they dont publish them far in advance--but they rarely change. I have used the ADO GL bus from Cancun to San Cristobal for years and it leaves Cancun at 545 PM for about an 18 hour trip. (I am in San Cristobal now) This bus makes stops in Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Chetumal, Palenque and Ocosingo. The Ocosingo stop is usuall the longest with time to get something to eat.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

I know this is a month-old topic, but...

Did you look into an all-Mexicana flight, NYC to Mexico City to Tuxtla Gutierrez? It's seems that if you fly into a country on one of that country's airlines, the connecting flight to a smaller airport within that country is often pretty cheap.

I just did that trick, flying Mexicana from Calgary to Tuxtla, again via Mexico City. It was a great price.

7. Re: Cancun to San Cristobal de las Casas: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...