We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

Which San Cristobal de las Casas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I recently spent a week in the Chiapas area with a native Mexican friend. I had hired a guide in the San Cristobal area to take us to some of the outlying villages. My friend was insistent that we didn't need a guide because he was of course from Mexico and could get around just fine. Well, I'm glad I didn't listen to him and so was he!! Our guide was fantastic! Our trip would not have been the same without her. We were able to experience the culture and learn so much more with her than on our own. If you are going to San Cristobal it is worth every penny to contact her. Her name is Meli Montoya--and you can reach her by email at melitamontoya@gmail.com

She then was able to put us in contact with another superb guide in Palenque--Don Nicolaus---He was exceptional and again made our experience that much more rich and meaningful. My friend also agrees that it would not have been the same without the insight and knowledge of our two superb guides. Chiapas is beautiful and well worth the time to visit. I can't wait to get back there!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I am going to San Cristobal Feb 23rd for a week. I will contact Melita. I'm not sure about going to Palenque. How was the bus ride? Do you have other recommendations or suggestions? I haven't been to San Cristobal de las Casas before. thanks!!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I didn't take the bus. I was lucky enough to be with a friend who drove. It was so much easier. Everyone that I have spoken with says the buses are fine and safe. I had planned to take the bus but the bus never came to the bus station and that is when we decided to take a car. If you can, you should definately visit Palenque. It is absolutely unbelievable. Definately contact Meli--she will be able to advise you and make your stay so much more cultural and interesting. San Cristobal is a great town. Plan to spend a few days. We were short on time and I regret not being able to stay longer. It is a safe clean town with lots of great restaurants and things to do and see. Take warm clothes---It was cold and many of the hotels do not have heat or hot water. I am from Chicago and I am glad I brought warm clothes although during the day it became very hot. Let me know if you have any specific questions--and let me know if you are able to get in contact with Melita or not. Please do not hesitate to ask anything else.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

Thank you so much for your posting. I'm going to San Cristobal mid-March for two weeks, and appreciate having the name of a good guide. I'm just beginning to plan the trip will likely have questions, so I hope you'll be checking into the TA forum from time to time. Where did you stay in San Cristobal? Is there any particular place you'd recommend?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

thanks for your reply! I am glad to have the advice about what to bring, as far as clothing. I will keep in touch about Melita and let you know how the trip goes. I am looking forward to getting out of Minneapolis/St. Paul for a little while. It's been a long winter here already!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

please let me know how it goes--I'd love to hear about your trip--

wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

There are so many hotels in San Cristobal. I stayed at two different places, because I stayed twice in San Cristobal. Once on my way through Chiapas and once on my way back to Oaxaca. It really depends on your budget and style of hotel you wish to have. Of the two hotels I stayed at I liked Casa Margarita the best. The Moon Guide to Chiapas is a fabulous informative guide ---Pick it up--It is worth it. ---Both times I did not have reservations--Just arrived in San Cristobal and went hotel hunting---It worked out fine for me that way. Any questions I'd be happy to help if I can--definately book Meli for a tour or two----

Central California...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

So glad to read your post. I had heard that SC had some problems because of the drug issues & might not be safe at this time. Did you have any problems? We were in Oaxaca during the 2006 protests and, other than having the town & Monte Alban to ourselves, we didn't get to experience Oax until 2 yrs later....I don't particularly want to repeat that experience.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

San Cristobal is far from the areas experienceing the drug violence (you can consult the State Dept. travel advisory). I've heard it was comparatively safe ....

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I was just there for a week--got back last Thursday. It felt very safe. I have spent time in quite a few places in Mexico and this is by far my favorite! I can't wait to go back and stay for a longer time.

New York
Level Contributor
303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Cristobal de las Casas Chiapas--A great guide

I'm leaving tomorrow night for SC, and I appreciate your reassuring words, which confirm what I'd read.