We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

My wife and I are flying to Mexico in September 17th. We have a tight schedule and are planning to visit Chichen Itza on D1-2 of our trip - then are planning to fly straight to San Cristobal (via Tuxtla)

Does anyone know how easy it is to fly to Tuxtla from Merida and if this is possible at all?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

There are no direct flights but you can go via Mexico City on Aeromexico (www.aeromexico.com). The normal fare is 235 USD one-way and there are a number of flight options. It will take 4 hours and up.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

Thanks for the quick reply - how would you suggest we can go from chichen itza to san cristobal? Is there a flight from cancun? My wife is not keen on the long coach journey. If we did go by coach - would it be advisable to go by night coach for a morning arrival? I have read mixed reviews about this.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

I suspect there are no direct flights into Tuxtla from anywhere except Mexico City - most routings inside Mexico will go via 2-3 major hubs such as Mexico City. It is easy to get to Merida from Chichen Itze (Cancun will involve backtracking) and from there you can get a bus overnight to San Cristobal (12 hrs 15 minutes, cost 556 pesos). The last section of that journey has been flagged as having very occasional robberies. Changing buses in Villahermosa gives you a few more options. Flying through Mexico City in 4-5 hours would be my preference!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

Skip the overcrowded Chichen Itza and visit Palenque instead.

Take a bus from Merida, stay a couple of nights in Palenque, then take an onward bus to San Cristobal. And congratulate yourself for seeing some real gems (two cities and one ruin) that are pretty much off the usual tourist trail.

5. Re: ADVICE re: Flying from Merida - Tuxtla - San Cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...