We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

New Mexico
Level Contributor
67 posts
605 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Hello - Does anyone have recommendations for getting from Merida to San Cristobal? We would prefer not to rent a car but will do that if it is the most efficient way to make this trip. Thanks!

NMSQ

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Bummer - I was going to ask you to take me with you if you're driving. I think driving is going to be your best option - or a very long bus ride. Was just in Merida with people who did this drive on a previous trip and raved about it. Im trying to figure out how to get to Calakmul and all the other ruins south of Campeche without a car.

suitcaseready.com

New Mexico
Level Contributor
67 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

No problem with hitching a ride but we won't be there until October! Long wait. If you're still in Merida, let's talk again. For now, you've sort of confirmed what I thought and that is a rental car is in our future for this particular field trip from Merida. Good luck getting to the ruins in Chiapas - Palenque is definitely worth the trip! Calakmul is well worth it for the original painted panels in the three 'temples' - and the indigenous site operators! Sweet place.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Took the ADO bus from Came station in Merida to San Cristobal last Tuesday. Was supposed to be a 12 hr overnight trip which turned into 16 hours. Stops in Campeche, Palenque ( for an hour at 3 AM), and a couple other stops that are forgotten, make it a bit of an ordeal, but a relatively inexpensive way to go. Saves accommodation for that night of travel. Take an Ambien and enjoy the ride.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
67 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Wow - that is a l-o-n-g bus trip. Do appreciate the economy and the opportunity to see the countryside but since we've made that trip into Chiapas before, may not be as big a draw a second time! Thanks for responding - hope you enjoy San Cristobal. Would appreciate hearing what you liked (and didn't).

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

I just took the overnight 1st class bus from Merida to San Cristobal de las Casas and found it to be a piece of cake. We left Merida at 7:15pm and arrived in SC at 10:15am. I had been told noon as my arrival time so I was very pleased. My hotel had a check in time of 1:00pm, but let me check in early. The bus made only about 5 short stops, except for the 4:00-5:15am one in Palenque where they extend it to get closer to sunrise as that last section is where the drive begins to get harry with mountain curves and morning fog. At $47 it is certainly affordable. Sit back and watch the 4 movies that were shown. Don't forget your coat or blanket though, as the buses are very cold.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,074 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

I ride the bus from Merida to San Cristobal often and will be doing it Saturday. I have used the OCC first class bus mentioned above (they are owned by ADO) many times and not a bad trip at all. I now do it a little differently.

I take the ADO Platino bus in the evening from Merida to Tuxtla Gutiérrez and then I transfer to an OCC bus for the one hour run to San Cristobal. I do this because I can sleep on any bus but really well on the Platino buses. They have almost fully reclining seats with legrests, an on demand individual video screen, a coffee bar and two restrooms in the rear. I travel alone so really like the 1 + 2 seating since I never have a seatmate. This bus makes only one stop, in Villahermosa.

I also use the Platinio bus on the return. It is really nice since they have a special Platino waiting room and luggage check with wifi and coffee,etc.(also a Platino waiting room in Merida)

Edited: 18 December 2012, 21:38
New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Dear ChasMac,

May I know how much and what were the time options available from Merida to SC? I saw one bus at 8am from Merida to Palenque, that's about it. I also want to do a tour from SC to see the ruins near Palenque because I believe there's nothing to explore in the town of palenque. If I arrive at Palenque at a bad timing, I wouldnt be able to book a tour in time for the next morning for me to visit the ruins and then end up in SC.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

Dear AlwaysMexDreaming and Robert,

Do they have those buses everyday? Or only on select days?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

wisekidx,

You can check the bus schedule at:

http://www.ado.com.mx/

For example, to go one way from Merida to San Cristobal, under "Origen", select Merida, Yuc. CAME. For "Destino", select San Cristobal. Select "Sencillo" for one way, then pick a date. Important, they don't update the website schedule more than a month or so out. So if you know you're traveling on a Wednesday, just pick a Wednesday a week or two from now (the schedule doesn't change much, but verify when you get closer to traveling). Then pick a time....madrugada (early morning), manana (morning), tarde (afternoon), noche (night). If you don't get a result under a certain time range, pick the next one.

So for your question about Merida to San Cristobal, I see a 7:15 p.m. bus for $618 pesos that takes 12 hrs 25 mins.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 13:48
10. Re: Traveling from Merida to San Cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 16:35