We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oaxaca or SCLC ?

Which San Cristobal de las Casas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Oaxaca or SCLC ?

Hi

I am on a 2 week trip from Mexico city to Yucatan Riviera and back to Mexico city to catch my flight back home. I first thought of this rough itinerary looking at guide books:

Start - 24 Dec'12

End - 06 Jan'13

Mexico City - 3/4 days

-> Oaxaca - 2 days

-> SCLC - 1 day

-> Palenque - 1 day

-> Merida/Chichitza - 1/2 days

-> Playa/Cozumel - 3 days

-> Fly back to Mexico city to catch flight back home

Of course while researching for buses/flights and things to do at all the above mentioned places, I know I am being too optimistic and over-enthusiastic .

So my question to the experts is:

1. If I skip Oaxaca, will I really miss something which I wont find in SCLC or Merida or Mexico city ? Because if I miss Oaxaca, it buys me lot of quality time at other destinations due to long bus transfer time from Oaxaca to SCLC and infavorable flight timings.

2. Or should I miss SCLC instead of Oaxaca and straight away go to Palenque from Oaxaca (via Villahermosa?)

3. And How different are these places in their nature - Oaxaca, SCLC, Campeche and Merida ? Guide book says all are colonial cities but how different is it in feel for a tourist ?

4. Is there anything experts would like to suggest me on the itinerary, like first fly to Cancun from Mexico as it will be New Years time and then travel back to Mexico city through all points.

Thanks

Adi

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
55 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

No way you can see even part of your wish list in your time frame. ...especially by bus. I would pick a region of Mexico (e.g.) the Yucatan and stay within it. Bus transportation between Merida, Cancun and some of the many ruins would be much easier. Plan to fly from Mexico City to your first stop then take buses from there. In my opinion, San Cristobal (never heard it referred to as SCLC) is too far south. 20 hours on the bus from Mexico City and 12 from Oaxaca.

Great country to visit! Especially if you can slow down and truly see its culture and enjoy its people.

Merritt, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

Your schedule is too tight unless you travel at night.

I would suggest stay another day or two in Mexico City. It's a great city with tons of near-by history.

Take a bus to Puebla and spend a few days there.

If you must go to Cozumel fly out of Puebla.

or take the bus to Xlapa and then Vera Cruz then fly out of Vera Cruz to Mexico City.

Oaxaca and SCLC should be put together as one excursion over a period of two weeks. The people and culture of the two areas are totally different from all of Mexico. Based on geography , You could bus it from Puebla to Oaxaca but Cozumel is out!

Edited: 15 October 2012, 04:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

Thanks guys for your advice :)

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

One day in San Cristobal and Palenque is a waist of time. You need a week in SC and 4 days in Palenque. San Cris has a big Indigenous population and that is what makes it so different than other city's.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
111 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

Hi, I am just doing a similar trip, but the other way round.

I stayed on Coz to go diving, but if I came back, I would def miss it, as it is cruise ship hell.

Tulum is fantastic, with a beautiful beach. Much more worth a visit, as are Playa and Isla Mujeres.

I spent 2 nights in Palenque. I also traveled over night there on the bus from Tulum. 2 nights is too much. You need half a day or so for the ruins. You can combine Agua Azul and Misol Ha waterfalls with the transfer to SCLC (or the other way round obviously). That divides up the journey.

Am now in SCLC, staying 2 nights. Will visit sumidero canyon tomorrow and then San Juan Chamula next day, leaves time for sightseeing in SCLC in the afternoons. Will take an over night bus to Oaxaca.

Perhaps you can fly from MC to Oaxaca to save some time and do a few over night bus rides. I think it is doable, but you will be busy.

As I said, I would rethink Coz but the rest of your plan gives you a good taste of the place.

Safe travels!

6. Re: Oaxaca or SCLC ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 10:18