We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amatenango del Valle

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Amatenango del Valle

I'm interested in a side trip to Amatenango del Valle. Are there combis in San Cristobal de las Casas that travel to Amatenango del Valle? I suspect that one could probably take a combi that is headed toward Comitan, it looks as though you would have to drive right through. It's also unclear to me if there are combis to Comitan. I'm aware of the first class buses, but I suspect they don't stop in Amatenango del Valle. Any thoughts?

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amatenango del Valle

Yes you could take a collective to Amantenango but you also want to get back. You just need to make sure a collective comes back to SC. The bus does not stop there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amatenango del Valle

I looked up in my copy of Moon Chiapas (you should have this book if you're hanging around the area), but oddly enough it doesn't answer your question.

I'd go to the bus station and try to buy a ticket. They may tell you to take a colectivo, hopefully with directions. Give it a whirl. Or your hotelier, or a tourist info booth would know. You can certainly get there via public transportation; you just might not know HOW exactly until the day-of. A little uncertainty is not a bad thing.

Have fun. :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amatenango del Valle

I had a second look at my copy of Moon Chiapas. Instead of looking under Amatenango, looking under San Cristobal shows a combi schedule to outlying towns. So, the answer may appear on page 109. It looks as though there are combis on the Pan American highway near Juarez. $3, every 15-60 minutes (love that). So we may have answered that question. My worry is always much like Heydule suggests -- how to get back? So we'll assume it won't be a problem to flag one down going the other way....right? ;)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amatenango del Valle

Ah, you do have the book, good. I found it incredibly useful when I hung out in SC for a few weeks.

I'd go ahead and make the day-trip without fear of not finding something going back. (Well, maybe don't wait until dark to test that theory...) In my experience with Mexico, there's always something going by that'll stop for you. Could be a 2nd-class bus from who knows where, could be a colectivo. Even in quite remote places, I've been pleasantly surprised.

And sometimes they flag YOU down. Stop / honk / "San Cristobal?". :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amatenango del Valle

Right, page 109, we have the same edition.

And I remember the colectivo stop now; it's just around the corner from the bus station, and a block or two down the highway in the Guatemala direction, on the same side as the bus station. Lots of vans, hard to miss. I think that's where I caught one going to Rancho Nuevo. (Which is worth visiting IMHO BTW.)

Edited: 26 March 2013, 03:29
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amatenango del Valle

I have a spare day, so I may make this happen. I'm interested in the pottery, though I suspect I could just buy it in San Cristobal de las Casas. I try to get off the beaten path a bit if possible.

I figure if I get stuck there, I'll just walk to Teopisca, which is about 5km away. From there there are frequent buses back to San Cristobal. Gotta have a backup plan, ya know.. ;)

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amatenango del Valle

Your backup plan will work. Finding a ride from Teopisca will work.

Puebla, Mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amatenango del Valle

The best way to get to Amatenango del Valle is to take a taxi or van to Teopisca. Their depots are one block before the blue San Diego Church, going South on the Pan American highway, two big blocks away from the bus station. The taxi is faster because once it has 4 passengers it leaves and does not stop along the road to pick up more passengers, but you do have to wait until it gathers the 4 required passengers. It costs 25.00 pesos. The vans cost 23.00 pesos and their depot is one block away (going south) from the taxi depot. They leave every 10 min. and they stop along the way to pick up passengers. There is one van company (but I have not figured out how to distinguish them) that gets to Teopisca and stops at the main square for 5 min. and then goes on to Comitan. This is the van to take if you want to get off in Amatenango del Valle.

If you take a taxi or the other van company to Teopisca, they both stop at the main square and from there you can take a taxi to Amatenango for 30 pesos and travel by yourself. It is expensive considering you are only going 5 miles.

The taxis that the locals take to Amatenango are 2 blocks away from the main square, heading South on the Pan American Highway. I have not taken these taxis into Amatenango so I don't know how much they cost but I am sure that it is less than 30 pesos.

To return to San Cristobal, just stand on the side of the Pan American highway that goes North and flag down any van, truck or taxi that comes by, they can drop you off in Teopisca and at the square in Teopisca you can get on a van that goes to San Cristobal. If a van that says Comitan- San Cristobal comes by and they have room, they will pick you up and take you all the way into San Cristobal. There are also taxis at the main square in Amatenango that can take you back to Teopisca.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 03:55
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amatenango del Valle

That is some really good information, Maria. When I was there, I saw the San Cristobal to Teopisca vans and figured it was a good option. I stopped in Teopisca briefly on the way to Comitan and saw the vans on the square there, too. I never ended up stopping in Amatenango, though, as other things came up. Maybe next time...

10. Re: Amatenango del Valle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 07:18