We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

I'd like to take the overnighter from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal de Las Casas, but Mexexperience.com warns that:

If you are traveling in the southern regions of Mexico, particularly in Chiapas between Tuxtla Gutierrez, San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque, note that you should not drive or take a bus overnight in this region. Roads are safe during the day, but the roads which connect these places pass through some of Mexico's most remote and rugged natural territories.

I had never heard this before, but now I'm worried. What do y'all think.

Thanks!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

It's generally safe but there is a belief that accidents on such roads are more likely at night. Some years ago a couple of buses got held up too but this is less of an issue nowadays. Personally I wouldn't worry about it from a safety perspective but I find it more uncomfortable traveling a windy route in darkness rather than daylight.

San Cristobal de...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

Yes it is safe.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

Just about to jump on an overnight bus from Huatulco to San Cristobel. Is it really that scary? We came from Oaxaco to Huatulco by night and managed to sleep despite the bends.

4. Re: Safe to overnight bus from Puerto Escondido to San Cristobal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Cristobal de las...