We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

Shady Cove, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

We plan to travel to Veracruz in April 2008, and would like advice about getting on the bus and staying elsewhere within a few hour bus trip from the city of Veracruz. Any ideas?

washington state
Level Contributor
547 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

I've not been there yet, but I hope to soon. My research says: Jalapa, Coatepec, Tlacotalpan, Paplanta, El Taijin, Lake Catemaco. Google those names and see what you get.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

I stayed in Veracruz ( the city) in February '03, and had a wonderful overnight visit to Xalapa (a/k/a Jalapa). It's a beautiful place, the museum of Anthropology is fabulous, and it's the birthplace of the Jalapeno!

Also, the coast can be very humid. Xalapa's in the mountains, so it's a refreshing change.

Berkeley CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

We just got back from 2 weeks in Veracruz area. Highly recommended is Tlacotalpan (2.5 hr bus ride from Veracruz) and Casa de la Luz (www.casadelaluz-mexico.com). Bill rents out a studio apt. which is truly de la luz and two oher rooms. Very tastefully decored and a few blocks from the Zocolo. The town is small (15,000) plus more at holiday/festival times, a UNESCO world Heritage Site, and charming with painted Mexican colors one and two story buildings in grid patterned streets. Tlacotalpan is the home of son jarocho music and there is usually some kind of music going on in the zolcolo. Bill is a very helpful host giving info from how to find the bus to an intro walking tour of the town. We did nothing but read, walk every corner of the town, cafe sit, one excursion to a larger town with great market.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

Catemaco is in the rainforest and a nice if definately not high end little place to visit. You can take a boat tour of the lake and there is a nature reserve (where the movies Medicine Man and some of Apocolypto were filmed). La Panga is a nice little floating bar across from a little hotel that has a restaurant. People who live in the biological reserve area are working to help the rainforest reclaim land that had been cut down for ranches.

Catemaco can be done as a long day trip.

For an overnight trip north of Veracruz, El Tajin or Xalapa would be best, with a stop at La Antigua and Papantla on the way there or back (ruins of Cortez's house and the tree he had the ships tied to before he scuttled them).

Mexico City
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

I would recommend Coatepec very much (my family is originally from Veracruz). Coatepec is very close to Xalapa (a taxi would cost less than 5 dollars). Lake Catemaco is beautiful and you can do it in a day trip, altough I would strongly recommend that you to stay at least one night at the nanciyaga reservation (http://www.nanciyaga.com), it's a very magic place with lots of things to do.

Tajin is beautiful, but I would personally recommend to do this trip along other mexican ruins to get some idea of the Mexican different ancient cultures. For instance, you can start with Tajin in Veracruz, then La Venta in Tabasco, then Palenque in Chiapas and then continue with the entire Maya route in the yucatan peninsula. I did this trip succesfully in a Month.

Buses in Mexico are highly relaible. The main bus operator in that part of Mexico is ADO (http://www.ado.com.mx). I believe the page is in only in spanish, but with a some help or a dictionary you will be fine.

Happy trip to Mexico!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

Yes, ADO is a reliable bus line.

For Papantla, I hired a taxi for the day. For Tajin or Catemaco, I'd use ADO.

7. Re: Overnight excursions from the city of Veracruz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz