We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Hi TripAdvisor-

We will be vacationing in MX city and want to travel to Veracruz via bus, train or taxi cab.

Can Mexico City metro system get us there? Do they trains that travel between the two cities?

And what are costs associated with bus and trains fares?

Thank you.

Victor

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

There is no passenger train network in Mexico. Inter-city travel is almost entirely by first-class bus. For this route see www.ado.com.mx (your start point is "Mexico DF Zona Centro y Sur", "TAPO" is the eastern bus terminal, "Taxquena" is the south terminal. Prices vary by class - determined usually by degree of luxury and how many stops the bus makes. In increasing order of luxury (and hence price) the lines are "AU", "ADO","ADOGL" and "ADO Platino". The journey time starts from 5 hrs 20 minutes.

NOTE: You might want to research Veracruz before going. For me, I found it a scruffy port town with nothing of note and it soon became my least favorite place in the whole of Mexico!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Thank you for your response. This has been insightful and helpful.

We might forgo the day trip to Veracruz while on vacation in MX city.

I might plan to golf while my wife does a little local shoppping. Hope to walk on a golf coursenear Mexico City or in the city, for 9 holes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

There are beautiful places close to Mexico City like Puebla. That is certainly worth a day and night trip. And it is closer than Vera Cruz.

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Bus is probably the best option if you want to avoid flying. ADO is one of the more recommended bus lines. Prices vary between 400 to 600 pesos. You can Google "ADO" and see the dates and prices.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

How much difference is there between the different bus lines? I assume that even AU is air conditioned? Actually, what I'd like to find is an intercity bus that doesn't show movies. My experience in the past is that the volume blasts so loudly that even listening to music on headphones doesn't totally block it out.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Some bus lines have individual headsets with adjustable volume. ETN does (but doesn't go to Veracruz) and also ADO GL and ADO Platino (not sure about the normal ADO buses). So if you're desperate for quiet then buy a ticket on ADO GL and you should be fine.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Thank you for your reply.

My wife and i are going to Mexico City (again) for 10 days. While in MX we are considering either a 2 or 3 day stay at nearby Puebla or another place. Can somebody provide other places nearby to stay?

Thank you.

Victor

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Puebla is a beautiful city, and has a sense of calm you might appreciate after hectic Mexico City. It is also the transportation hub for the area, so I would recommend staying there and using that as a base for visiting other places nearby. Especially if you have not been to Puebla before.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Puebla is popular as is Cuernavaca (not my favorite!), Tlaxcala (way quieter and smaller) and there are others. If you have 2-3 days you might consider Guanajuato (about 4.5 hours away) which is a unique colonial city with plenty to see.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Mexico City ot Veracruz

Normal ADO does not have headphones so the movies are shown with volume but not as loud to not be aboe to block it with your music. GL and Platinum give you headphones for the movies or music so the tv is playing but totally silent.

Another choice for a day trip would be Hidalgo and Real del Monte.

Get answers to your questions about Veracruz