We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Camera

I am looking for advice...my fiance and I are planning on scuba diving and snorkeling on our vacation. Who would recommend a good underwater camera?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,929 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera

I've got a cheapie Vivitar 6200W - here are my views on it:

PROS:

- price (I got it on sale for $99)

- digital - no more paying to develop pictures that aren't any good

- rugged housing, would be a great kids' first camera

- size - it's nowhere near as tiny as some non-underwater cameras but it's not too bulky at all

CONS;

- viewing screen is VERY hard to see in sunlight

- no viewfinder (to compensate for viewing screen issue). Obviously a viewfinder wouldn't make any difference if you're wearing a mask but for non-underwater applications, a viewfinder would be great;

- no lens cap - my biggest beef. I'm always worried that a grain of sand or something is going to scratch the lens;

- not as user-friendly/intuitive as some other cameras I've used .... but then I've never really taken the time to properly sit down and go through all the features, so I certainly take a large amount of the blame for my frustration.

I find that I tend to just snap, snap, snap away with this camera (both underwater and not) and then discard anything that doesn't turn out well - which is quite a lot. As stated above though, since this is a digital camera it doesn't cost me anything to take a zillion pictures.

In summary, I'm happy with this little camera because I got it so cheap. It takes pictures that are WAY better than anything I've ever managed with a disposable underwater camera and the best part is the fact that it's digital. I've seen this camera for sale for over $250; IMHO, it's not worth that kind of money.

FWIW, next time I buy a camera, I'll probably get one that's good for dry land AND has an optional underwater housing for a reasonable cost (some of them are REALLY expensive). I will NEVER, ever buy another camera without a viewfinder. A friend of mine is really into photography and the viewing screen on his very expensive camera is still hard to see in bright sunlight.

HTH - for more info/reviews on cameras, you might want to try this site: http://www.dpreview.com/

2. Re: Camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2010, 06:18