We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Sights to See & Shopping?

Old Bridge, NJ
10 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Sights to See & Shopping?

Hi,

We are staying at the Iberostar Lindo for our honeymoon the first 2 weeks of May 06 and was looking for recommendations for fun places in the surrounding towns. We are in Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen area. We are looking for some places to go shopping, sightseeing, and some adventure like parasailing. It doesn't have to be in PDC or Riviera Maya, it can be the other surrounding towns like Cozumel, etc...

I have heard that Mexico has a lot of ecoparks. I live in NJ so I have no idea what an ecopark is. We are going to see some ruins, but are looking for more. We are definitely the kind of couple that wants to get up and doing things like sightsee and not much for lay around on the beach.

Any recommedations on where to go? Where is there a good night life to go dancing or see bands play?

Also, should I start making reservations at some of the ecoparks, sightseeing places since we are going down there in 5 months? Thanks!!

BlondieBride

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Sights to See & Shopping?

I would go to search for a Playa del Carmen

website which can direct you to some great activities.

The Mayan Jungle tour thru the Jeep Adventures is great, FatCat snorkeling tour is fun, Puerto Aventuras has a swim with the dolphins, etc.

The travel agents in the hotels always have tour info too.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
40 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Sights to See & Shopping?

2 weeks is certainly enough time to visit other areas. I have been to the PDC area every year for the last 5 years. It is wonderful and is growing quickly!

Here's a few of my favorites:

-Tulum ruins by local bus (not a tour) from PDC, leave by 7am back by noon. Read about it first. Wear comfortable shoes. Pack water, snacks.

- Most AIs have all kinds of day trips available.

- Stroll around Puerto Morales, a little, sleepy fishing town. Closest to laid back Mexico in the area. Sit on the "kissing chairs" with your spouse. Have a cervesa and chill out at the local bars, restaurants. Talk with the owners of the Alta Libre bookstore.

- Most AI's have a so-so nightlife. Everyone usually is asleep by 10am. Stay on this site and read about PDC nightlife. Get a good PDC map. Take cash. Charge cards are not wise to use while "clubbing".

- Shopping in PDC is great. You will see a wide mix. If you like silver you'll see it here. Your wristband for the AI will identify you as a tourist with $$ so that will affect prices. Always be ready to walk on a high price they'll bargain. The further away from 5th Av you get the better the prices will be. Catch the shuttle from the Lindo spaces fill fast. Grab a cab back.

- Be safe and wise. Use common sense during the evenings.

- Do not be a UGLY American, respect the people they have a great culture. You are in their country and representing our country.