We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Maroma

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
El Dorado Maroma

We are just back from a long weekend at EDM. I have submitted my review and am happy to answer any questions.

We loved the resort and it is among the best overall we have stayed in. Beach is gorgeous and service exceptional. The resort should be proud of the excellent staff they have put together at this resort.

As much as we enjoy Seaside Suites, we enjoyed EDM even more. We will definitely return.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Maroma

How was the food, Cav? Oh yes...and the wine??

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Wine was ok, nothing special but better than we had at Casitas last year and at least a few options.

Food ranged from good to very good. I would give the edge to EDSS for food (loved Vida there) but the beach at EDM was really beautiful and we loved the size of the resort.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Maroma

What room type were you in??

Yes...EDR also added new wines this year. Thank goodness! Didn't even need to open the wine we bought at the airport. We ended up giving it it away.

I knew you would like the size of this resort. It's just way too small for us.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Maroma

A one bedroom suite. It was lovely but we really only used the bedroom and the outside space.

<I knew you would like the size of this resort. It's just way too small for us.>

Yes, we do prefer small resorts and would choose EDM over other higher priced small resorts like Zoetry as we liked it better overall. It is definitely not for everyone though. Of the three Karisma AO resorts, we like EDR Casitas the least of all and size is part of that. EDSS is lovely and now we have a new favorite with EDM.

It was interesting as my husband was not excited about staying at EDM. I had to twist his arm to give it a try. But we both ended up loving it more than we expected in so many aspects.

I am trying now to switch our next trip from EDSS to EDM. :)

Edited: 01 May 2012, 14:49
Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Caviar,

I am happy to hear that you liked EDM. We split one trip staying 4 nights at EDSS and then 4 nights at EDM. We absolutely loved everything about EDM except the evening meals. After staying at EDSS first, we found dinner to be lacking at EDM. We thought the quality of breakfast was about the same at both and much preferred lunch at EDM. However, the food at dinner was not enough of an issue for us not to go back. We are returning to EDM June 6-15. I am looking forward to your review.

Debbie

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado Maroma

<After staying at EDSS first, we found dinner to be lacking at EDM. >

I would agree that the dinners at EDSS were better overall.

<However, the food at dinner was not enough of an issue for us not to go back. >

I agree with that as well. If EDSS had the beach of EDM, it would be our choice overall.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado Maroma

Okay, I know this will be a complete shock to some of you, but I uh... switched my reservation from the Grand Velas to EDM this morning (before seeing this thread - I swear!).

With the whopping $2k that I saved, I will be booking a trip to Disneyworld when the '13 rates are released next month. And I swear, this is it. I won't be changing it. Again. Swear.

I'm a little concerned about wine/liquor choices at EDM, but I figure I can always get our driver to stop somewhere on the way from the airport and we can grab what we like and keep it in our room.

I booked a Honeymoon Suite, and requested fourth floor in buildings three or four.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 21:37
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado Maroma

CG, any issues with the marina next door?

One other main reason I switched, it because I'm getting my husband a fishing kayak for Father's Day (they're pricey). He's a total water nut, so I figure the proximity of fishing charters will appeal to him, but I'm a little concerned about the noise/smell from the marina.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado Maroma

October. LOL, I can't believe it!

What room did you book?

It may interest you to know that we decided on the ride home that EDM is now #2 under Grand Velas on our favorites list.

The wines were really fine and we hate rock gut wines served at other resorts. But next time we will stop and get our own Don Julio as my husband really missed having it there. I can do without mixed drinks but would have enjoyed a top shelf martini.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado Maroma

October!!!! You are too funny! I've lost track of the changes now. I thought I would see how you liked GV and consider it for ourselves. I have been eying up EDM for a while - and know Cav has similar tastes to me. So now I will look forward to another trip report from EDM instead. ;)