We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

I swear that the luggage allowances are getting smaller and smaller. I have booked with Thomas Cook and even added on 5 kg each to have 20 kg each now. Carry on is only 5 kg each. My heaviest things are lotions as I have to take 1 bottle per 2 days. I am sure about this as I must keep my family heavily lotioned to prevent burns.

What are your packing tips for keeping it light?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

Since I spend the vast majority of my Mexican vacation time on the beach, I don't take much in the way of daytime-type clothes but do take multiple bathings suits. For the evenings, I take dresses - the variety which fold down to nothing and don't crease. Here's my packing list for two weeks:

- 4 - 14 bathing suits and a few cover ups;

- 2 - T shirts or tanks

- 1 pair - shorts (2 if I'm planning on doing several excursions)

- 5 dresses max

- 1 pair - dressy heels for evening wear

- 1 pair - beach flip flops

- 1 pair - embellished flip flops dressy enough for evening wear if I don't want to wear heels but not so expensive that they can't substitute for my beach flip flops if they break;

- undies (of course)

- sunscreen (aerosols are lighter but don't last as long as lotions)

- shampoo and conditioner (my indulgences; I'm fussy about what I use on my hair);

- snorkel gear (not fins though)

If I plan on doing excursions that require comfy footwear, then I'll wear my runners on the plane - they're too heavy and suck up too much space to pack them.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 16:00
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

leave lots home and buy it there. get the kids a paper route to pay for more luggage?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

There are some good tips here: http://www.onebag.com/

For warm climates like Mexico it's easy. I pack just a few changes of clothes, lightweight quick-dry fabrics mostly, and hand-wash in the sink. (I've heard some people won't do laundry on vacation, so they carry 14 or more outfits for a 2-week trip.)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

I pretty much agree with all the above. I am quite fair so I pack lotion but always plan on purchasing more as well. Just factor it in. Folks often say "it's so expensive". Well, yes more so than at home but same folks think nothing of buying a drink or two for the same amount. So figure.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

I have learned to pack only half the clothes I thought I need and twice as many swimsuits! However, I don't like scrimping on toiletries.

This year I think I will only pack one pair of shorts.

6. Re: What are your tips for packing light for a 2 week holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:41