We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport Review

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport Review

While preparing for our recent holiday to Mexico, I looked for various bits of information. One was about the airport. I couldn't find much. So, I thought I would do a little review.

Arrivals information

Landing and customs cards were handed out on the airplane. The crew were very clear to fill in ALL of the card.  The cards are clear about filling out ALL of the card.  Please fill in ALL of the card!  This DOES include the return portion of the card.  As some people still did not fill it ALL in, they were delayed right off the plane and made to complete the cards. There were LOTS this happened to.  We flew past!

Just prior to landing, the crew told the entire plane what to expect in arrivals.  This was a charter flight Nd nearly everyone was on a package holiday.  They explained what to expect at immigration. (again, they reminded people to fill in the entire card.) they explained luggage collection.  They explained to expect delays and congestion.  They also were very clear about the touters between the two double doors and not to believe their lies regarding your transport. It was at this time we were reminded that we would have to pay 785 Pesos each as a departure tax.

We landed ahead of schedule with 8 1/2 hours total flying time!  I think Ernesto (tropical storm) was helping!  I had expected longer.

It took 15 minutes to the point of landing and getting off the plane. ( Isn't that the longest 15 minutes of your life?)

It took 1 hour from disembarking to getting into our transfer.  

The longest part was at immigration.  Lines were moderate as we arrived in the halls.  By the time we went through, the lines were very long.  However, there were many desks open and immigration officers were working quickly and efficiently.  Ours was very nice and interacted with our son in a friendly manner.

When we got to the luggage claim, our luggage had already been stacked to the side.  We just had to take a few minutes to search for our 3 bags.

Off to customs we went where the lines at each X-ray machine were only 3 families deep.  That only took moments.  Please remember to put ALL bags through the X-ray.  That is the only thing that held us up as one family didn't understand how to do that.

Once through the X-ray, we pressed the button wishing for GREEN to miss an inspection and green it was.  We didn't see anyone get a red.

Next, through the gauntlet (the time share touters between the two double doors).  I had warned my, sometimes far to friendly, family to make NO eye contact, do not stop until we were through the doors and I stopped!  They listened well. Not one person even tried to speak to us.  I must have looked determined.

Outsider I located the Thomas Cook rep and told him we were here but we were taking a private hire to the resort.  He was very thankful that we had told him or it would have delayed others because he would have been looking for us.

We located USA Transfers, whom I had booked our transfers with, waited 10 minutes for the taxi and exactly one hour after getting off the plane we were on our way.

Outbound

We arrived via coach. There were porters willing to help. But, we are fine with our luggage and were quickly able to find our line. We were in premium economy on a charter flight to UK. This meant we had to pay approx. 800 pesos each exit tax. In the economy line, there was a lady at a table taking the tax before getting to check in. In the premium line, it was collected when we checked in. Everything was very efficient. The area was cool and we were at security quickly. I don't know if we hit it at good times, but we walked straight through security in minutes and walking through duty free. We bought some Bacardi for a good deal and were into the main departures. There were several food options. We decided on Margaritaville and got a quick bite in comfort. We picked up a few snacks and drinks for the flight and we were on our flight on time.

We found the airport very clean and comfortable and were happy with our time there.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport Review

I'm sure this will really help many people who have never been to CUN. Especially the part about competing the entire card so as not to hold up the works. ;)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport Review

Good information. I would suggest you post on the Cancun forum since not many in Cancun read the Yucatan Peninsula forum.

3. Re: Cancun Airport Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 07:18