We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

9 posts
Save Topic
Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

If I read correctly, spirit allows a personal carry-on free of charge AND says an infant diaper bag would not count towards a customers carry on bag allowance and will be free if charge. They didn't say anything about having an infant WITH you so I am wondering if this may be a loophole and I can carry-on a purse AND a "diaper" bag Does anybody have any knowledge about this? Thoughts on whether this may work?

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

I think you will be ok. They are no as strict as their website says they are.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

A reasonable person would assume that a diaper bag is free for someone with a baby. If you try it and are charged for a carry-on, do not blame the airline.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

If my recent review of their charges is correct, a carry-on charged at the gate is $100 USD.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

If it is a diaper bag, and it contained diapers, formula, wipes etc. I don't see how they can complain. However if the bag doesn't contain diapers etc. they would be well within their rights to charge $100, as it is no longer a 'diaper' bag.

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

I would not blame the airline for upholding their policy as described. I am one if the few that had not heard that spirit charged for carry on luggage and was very annoyed upon learning this too late. Just looking to save a little $ for my vacation. And yes take advantage of any possible loophole in that disgraceful policy. I don't think that makes me unreasonable. Wishful maybe. I am shamed for even considering the possibility. Lighten up.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

"Lighten up?"

Perhaps this is "situational ethics." This past week another woman was upset that Travelocity did not make clear the Spirit carry-on policy. Yet when I checked Travelocity I saw THREE places where you were advised of possible additional baggage fees and links to their policy.

Try and get around their known policy if you wish but you may end up paying $200 USD versus $70 if you take care of the fee early enough.

7. Re: Spirit airlines baggage personal carry-on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:19