We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For Those Who Have Done Budget AND Splurged

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Topic
For Those Who Have Done Budget AND Splurged

I'm looking for people who have done both "budget" trips, and other trips where they have "splurged" -- and wondering your thoughts on both, and if you had just as much or more fun with your budget resorts and you did with your splurge resorts. In the future, whether or not money is an object for you, would you go less often to save for a "better" resort, or if you could go more often - would you settle for the budget. Also - do your types of trips change when you go with others?

My experience is all across the board. Our big splurge (El Dorado Royale) -- I do feel like that was, in ways,kind of a waste of money for us. On the other hand, it was a nice experience, and gives us one more level of things to look for in a resort. Our biggest budget resort (Reef Club) was not our worst, although we're not running back to it anytime soon. Another one we spent good money on was the Palladium, and we both agree that was totally worth it. (we did room upgrade, as well) We tried to pick a resort that would cater to 'something for everyone' last time, when we went with several couples -- but really feel we chose wrong with the Iberostar Tucan. (Great for families, possibly others, not for us at all)

I'm all over these boards talking about the one I really liked for Adult Only -- and that was Golden Parnassus, BUT we did do the highest room level there, too.

So for us, I guess it has not really mattered how much we paid, in the overall scheme of whether we really liked it or not -- but then, we aren't people who really want or need luxury or expect and want to be pampered. Not that I think there is anything at all wrong with those who do --- everyone does have different vacation expectations and desires.

I guess the reason I am thinking about this now is that I'm planning on going back to the Golden Parnassus at some point, but I also want to try out the VIM. I am just hoping that I will feel the extra money we are paying to stay at the VIM, over the GP, will feel worth it, to us.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For Those Who Have Done Budget AND Splurged

Not sure if this will help or not, but one thing we have realized recently is that when it is just my wife and I we should not do a budget hotel. We like no wristbands, no reservations, jacuzzi in the room, good alcohol. However, when we travel with our kids, we can do a more budget friendly hotel. They do not like to have to sit down through a served meal - they prefer the buffets. We also do not drink all that much when we are with them, so alcohol selection is not that important (drink mostly beer). Just being with our kids make the trips AWESOME!!

With that said, I recommend that you try the VIM - we loved it and are going back in November.

2. Re: For Those Who Have Done Budget AND Splurged

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:20