We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free on arrival?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free on arrival?

Flying out with Thomson end of July is there a duty free shop on arrival into Cancun, also the departure tax can it be paid in sterling or is it only Pesos.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free on arrival?

I'm not sure about the duty free shop - hopefully, someone else will chime in with that info.

The departure tax can be paid in pesos, sterling or Euros. Sometimes they'll take US dollars and sometimes not.

According to latest reports it's 785 pesos or 45 pounds - so it works out a bit cheaper to use pesos.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free on arrival?

There is a duty free shop in the arrivals area in Terminal 3 but not in Terminal 2, so see which terminal your airline flies into. Not sure about the UK flights, most (but not all) US flights go into T3 and most Canada charters into T2.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free on arrival?

I bought liquor at the duty-free in Terminal 3 on arrival, 3 weeks ago. As we went through customs, the officer said I was allowed 3 bottles.....I only had one:):) In fact, wish I had bought more, as on departure they didn't have any Havana Siete rum left!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free on arrival?

Isn't the entire state of Quintana Roo duty-free?

Why pay airport prices?

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free on arrival?

Perhaps because if you're not going into Playa or Cancun and your resort isn't in walking distance to a liquor store .....it costs $$ for taxi....and, you have your preferred liquor when you get to the resort (speaking from recent experience!:):) I find the prices in the duty-free very competitive to any other stores in Playa.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free on arrival?

Duty free is only when you are past security leaving the country, not entering it.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free on arrival?

I beg to differ; not according to the cancun duty free allowance web site - duty free on arrival. This is also available in other Mexican airports too. Lots of airports now have "duty free" on arrival around the world. Now, whether you save much, is another story:):)

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free on arrival?

If you buy from a so called Duty Free shop on arrival, and there is a Square Hologram stamp on the bottle, then its not Duty Free. If I am wrong,so be it...But the sole purpose of duty free is for departing passengers to buy liquor without paying taxes once in the secure departure area. Look for the Stamp...Its real easy to spot

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free on arrival?

Duty free shop on ARRIVAL in Terminal 3 only, not Terminal 2. As previous poster suggested, Q Roo is a duty free state and you will find liquor prices even less than the duty free at Sam's, City Club, sometimes Mega and Walmart. IE: yesterday at City Club Smirnoff 1 litre 129 pesos.

Many nice items in Term 3 Duty Free if you are going straight to your resort

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free on arrival?

How can there be a Duty Free at Sams, City Club, etc??....Do you think that all the booze in Mexico is not taxed so that the Govt. makes no money?. Wrong....All the liquor at Sams, Costco, etc has the Hologram Tax Stamp on the Bottles they sell. Therefore it is a Tax pure and simple...