We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkaling and mustaches

Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
snorkaling and mustaches

So I have some facial hair and the last time I was in mexico we found that we really enjoyed snorkeling everyday. The problem was, that no matter how tight I tighed my mask, water leaked up my nose. So short of shaving it off, I was wondering if anybody had any tips or hints.I know there is wax u can buy but I'm thinking that wax in Ur mustache in the heat would be uncomfortable. Thanks for any input!!!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

As said on your Akumal queswtion I've heard that a coating of vasoline might make a better seal.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

Well ... I have a mustache and after years trying different ways to solve the seal problem I gave up and just accept some leakage as coming with the territory. However, what I did find that worked the best was going to a dive shop and buying a good quality mask that had a very pliable seal on it around the edges.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

Vaseline is oil based and very hard on the integrity of the mask.

I've been married to my husband for over 35 years and have never seen him without a mustache. He is a snorkeler and diver.

He uses silicone on his mustache as a seal. He uses an old tooth brush to apply it. It works perfectly, although is kind of a pain to get off. You can buy it at dive shops.

kansas city
Level Contributor
254 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

I also have a moustache and love to snorkle, have found that vaseline works best.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
584 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

Some masks will seal better than others on facial hair. If you over tighten your mask strap, it will make your mask leak worse. The strap is there to hold your mask in place not to help seal it to your face. DO NOT use vaseline, it is petroleum based and will break down the silicone skirt on your mask. Get some Trident silicone grease. You can get it at your local dive shop or online if you wish. i just checked and you can get it on Amazon. A 4 oz. jar will last you forever.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

I've used the silicone and it is a mess to remove. Hate to say this; just shave on your holiday. It wll grow back. I did that years ago and have had much more enjoyable experience snorkeling.

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

Vaseline or petroleum jelly

8. Re: snorkaling and mustaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:20