We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

Belize & Mexico advice and best place to spend NYE and Christmas

Hi Guys,

ill be landing at cancun with my gf( we r both 28) on the14 Dec during the day and depart from there on the 6th Jan, giving me 23 full days in the area. I plan to spend 2 weeks in yucatan and 9 days in Belize to dive a bit and get a different vibe. Just trying to figure out where is best to spend these two special days in terms of having a unique experience/good time with the least cost(travelling on budget). I am well traveled, and generally prefer not too touristy and expensive places. I prefer places with a more authentic/ local and interesting feeling places. Looking mostly to be around the beach, spend a decent time in each place and perhaps visit few sights not too far.

For these 2 days i am between Caye Caulker. Amergis, Playa and perhaps tulum. In general did u find Belize more expensive than the popular places in Mexixo?

Also perhaps you can give a feedback on my planned itinerary. Not sure of the order(perhaps u can help) i will do it as it depends where will i spend the 2 special days, choose too busy places/expensive at times that r the least expensive(if at all), avoid unnecessary backtracking and manage to meet a mexican-canadian friend for a day or 2 in Playa(she will be there from 18-28).

Mecixo 14 or 15 days

-Merida(probably including progresso for a day) 3 days, go there straight once i land

-Valadolid & chichen itza 1-2 days

-Playa 4-5days

-Tulum 2-4 days

-Cancun - 1 day maybe(the day-half day before i depart)

-Isla Mujeres -1-2 days(maybe combine it with cancun the last 2- days before i leave). Not sure if it worth it, it will depends on the whole itinerary if to include it or not.

Belize 8 or 9 days

-Caye Calker 2 days

Ambergis/San pedro 2 days

Placencia and the area - 3days

maybe come cultural/adventure visit 1-2 days or 1 day more at islands.

Abou the budget am looking at a budget of 1600(ideally)-1800 CAD/USD per person including some diving. I would really like mostly cheap/basic accommodation/cabanas near/on the beach. I hope to find accommodation of 40$ per room on average. Some days higher some lower. Is it realistic? Any suggestions are welcome? Where can we eat seafood the cheapest?

Am not in big favour of organized excursion trips as they are expensive and too commercial. Not sure if i want to to

Tikal as its way to far from the beach, it will require to pay exit fee from belize twice and probably in guatemala too. So i if i dont do Tikal not sure if it worth to do any other ruins in belize that r easily accesible as it probably wont be better than the ones in Mexico. In generally max 2-3 ruins in the trip would be enough.

Not sure if i want to do any jungle experience as i did quite a lot of it in Borneo, Malaysia. Not sure if it will offer my something unique back. Caves? Couldnt i do that in Mexico too, cheaper and easier? Anything else cultural that might be worthwhile and not too expensive? I know beach in Mexico is better but while in Belize where do u get the best in ur opinion? Also from the place i mentioned where is best to dive?

I appreciate any advice

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

Did you know that you are travelling during the Ultra High Season here in the Mayan Riviera....The 2 weeks alone between the 15th and 1st of January are when prices actually double, or even triple in some cases for Hotel Rooms, etc. And to try and find rooms during this period will be tough. All I can say is good luck, and bring a Credit card for backup Cash if needed.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,827 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

As Dan says, it will be a difficult time to find budget accomodations. Likely Merida and Valladolid will not be as expensive as the other places you mentioned. Not only are the beach areas full of foreign visitors but many Mexican families head tor beach areas. I would not want to travel during that time without

reservations and much cash.

Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

Very good input from Dan and Robert. To be honest, I do not think you are going to find anything close to your budget expectations on or close to the beach. Furthermore, if you do not already have reservations you are going to be challenged finding accommodations at this late date. They will be there, but at a premium price.

The good news is you will find authentic Mexican culture in Merida and Valladolid. The bad news is the beach areas from Isla Mujeres and South (including Cancun) to Tulum short on authentic Mexican culture but good for beaches. Don’t forget this area has been developed for the mass tourist trade (not saying this is bad). That said, you will find some of the Old Mexico on Isla, in Playa and Tulum but the prices will be high and there will be lots (especially Isla and Playa) of people.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

I will address FOOD. Lots of budget cuts can be made here. Look to buying and cooking your own. If you're lucky to get a room with kitchen (or Hostel with facilities). Very cheap. While I stay very cheap I don't have cooking facilities but still take advantage of the grocery stores: Walmart, Mega, others, for veggies, fruit, non-cook items, sandwiches, drinks, etc. I also seek out small mom and pop restaurants usually off main streets and food carts as well-as long as they are busy with others and locals. For instance a breakfast might be a pastry, a bananna and a cup/can of orange juice. Under $2.

5. Re: 23 days in Yucatan and Belize during New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now