We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Mexico

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Mexico

We are a couple in our mid-late 40s and fancy trying Mexico later on this year. We like a nice beach where you can walk out in the sea without climbing over rocks, a nice pool, good food and something to do in the evening. We're not ones for lively nightlife, but a nice music bar or something going on is ok. Also we don't like being tied to a complex where you can't go wandering outside as it's not safe to.

Can anyone give me any ideas what area or even hotel would suit us please.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,990 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Mexico

"Also we don't like being tied to a complex where you can't go wandering outside as it's not safe to."

This area of Mexico is safe, provided you don't abandon all common sense, of course.

However, many all-inclusive resorts are fairly remotely located, so the only thing in the immediate vicinity is jungle. This just means that if you want to go off site, you'll have to use some sort of motorized transportation (e.g. a taxi). Two resorts that have this sort of location but meet your other criteria and have the added bonus of being adult only are Secrets Maroma Beach and the Valentin Imperial Maya. There's also Excellence Riviera Cancun which gets rave reviews but I hesitate to recommend it unconditionally as the beach there can have issues with seagrass and that's a deal-breaker for me (it doesn't seem to bother other people though).

If you want to be able to walk around off site without taking a taxi, then you need to stay in either Cancun or Playa del Carmen. In PdC, look at the Royal Playa del Carmen which is right IN town but most people rate the beach there as only OK. There's also Royal Hideaway in Playacar which has a better beach but is a bit further away from town. Another more budget-friendly option would be any of the Rius also located in Playacar but closter to PdC than the Royal Hideaway. None of the Rius are adult only (I don't know if that's important to you or not).

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial...
12,845 Reviews
Playa del Secreto, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Excellence Riviera Cancun
Excellence Riviera Cancun
13,832 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,580 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,012 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
270 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Mexico

Llisa thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned pdc area is a nice area to stay. I'll look into hotels there I think.

Would like a nice beach though.

Buckhannon, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Mexico

We stayed at The Royal Cancun and it was wonderful and had a beautiful beach. It has changed names since then and I can't remember the new name, but you can go to www.realresorts.com to see it and The Royal PDC.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
The Royal Cancun All...
2,608 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,580 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Mexico

Check out the RIU Playacar. On a nice stretch of beach and walkable (or short taxi ride) to PDC. You can also use the Yucatan and Tequila facilities close by (except for buffet dinner). The Tequila has a disco for later night entertainment. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
5,491 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Mexico

Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine recommended the Yucatan and Tequila too

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Mexico

You might consider Isla Mujeres as well - delightful little island. :)

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
7. Re: First time in Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20