We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calls to Canada from Cancun on android phone

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
206 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
calls to Canada from Cancun on android phone

I will be working from Cancun for a month and will have to call into a Canadian landline for some long conference calls, as well as have a number for my work colleagues in Canada to call me. In Europe last year I was able to use Skype for this and it was fantastic and cheap--I think I got 6 hours for $14. It looks to me as though this option is not available in Mexico though. I have an android phone and will be accessing wifi. Suggestions?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calls to Canada from Cancun on android phone

Skype *does* work in Mexico. Works just fine.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calls to Canada from Cancun on android phone

(A followup since you asked via PM):

I'm using Skype via a plain old netbook running Windows 7 and the downloadable Skype program. I call my favourite land-line number back in Canada using SkypeOut (I don't have to specify that, just a phone number), and it costs the usual 2 or 3 cents a minute plus 10 cent connection fee. I make sure to top up my account with $ before a trip because I'd rather not fuss with the credit card while travelling.

I've been doing this from various countries, and it's always worked well for me - as long as I had a good WiFi connection of course. Bad WiFi = bad call.

Now Belize, they used to block Skype to protect their telco monopoly. But recently they stopped doing that, and it's about time. Never heard of any problems in Mexico.

As for having a number to *receive* calls, that's SkypeIn, and I don't know how that'd work.

Cheers, VP

Edited: 26 January 2014, 19:34
3. Re: calls to Canada from Cancun on android phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18