We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

We are planning to visit Mexico in September, mostly Yucatan to see ruins and natural features, and also Oaxaca. We are independent travellers - Australians, we don't do resorts.

Friends who have a house in San Diego say that it is too dangerous to visit Mexico at the moment, and although they love it and have been many times in the past, they would not go now. Is this just the border region? We have heard horrible stories of beheadings etc.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

Do your friends in San Diego think crime there is the same as in Newark , NJ.? Really ridiculous to say Mexico is dangerous. Sure parts are dangerous but the state of Yucatan where Merida and many ruins sites are located are among the safest places you can be. No worries.

It is sad that such uninformed people spread such bad information.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

The only tourist I remember being beheaded was in the Canaries - long way from Mexico. Don't worry!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

"We have heard horrible stories of beheadings etc."

Heinous as those crimes were, it's my understanding that they were very specifically targetted and were perpetrated by drug cartel/gang members involved in a turf war. Unless you are involved in the drug trade or are employed by a law enforcement agency mandated to deal with cartels etc., your risk is minimal. That said, there are regions of Mexico I would avoid simply because the chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time are too high for my personal tolerance levels. Many of the border regions would fall into that category. The Yucatan, however, doesn't and not only do I plan on returning there this year, I'll likely be taking at least one of my kids with me. I certainly wouldn't do that if I thought there was any undue risk of injury or death.

FWIW, I had an unpleasant experience wth some very aggressive pan-handlers in San Diego. I wouldn't go as far as saying I was very concerned about my personal safety but it was certainly more threatening and nasty than anything I've ever experienced elsewhere, certainly Mexico.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about it. Is September a good time to be there?

5. Re: How Safe is Mexico at the Moment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:19