We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Routes

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Routes

I'm planning a trip thro the peninsula and using TicketBus to get an idea of times & cost.

However, what it doesn't give me is a notion of the routing & stops.

Is there any other source available?

Thanks

BB

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Routes

Not sure I understand what you are needing. The ADO tickets are point to point tickets. While the bus may pass through other towns en route, no stopovers are allowed. So, you only need to buy tickets between the points where you want to travel.

Edited: 01 March 2014, 00:50
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Routes

Bob - sorry for the delay in responding - real world issues, etc.

The query arose because the tentative plan is to bus Valladolid/Merida/Campeche and then make our way to the east coast.

My first thought was to head from Campeche down to Chetumal - stopping off for Calakmul - and then up to Tulum.

My worry is that my other half may well be 'ruined-out' (we have history with dead cities and crusader forts in Syria & Lebanon!!) by the time we leave Campeche.

I see that a bus goes from Merida to Tulum - so my idea was to bimble up from Campeche and meet a bus thats heading down from Merida and then onto Tulum.

My experience with the bus system in Argentina/Uruguay is that a TicketBus equivalent lists bus times; prices and route. I was hoping to access similar data for the Yucatan.

I know all of this detail is available at the bus stations, but it would be good to have some notion beforehand.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

bb

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Routes

I know of no sites showing the routes. Most ADO buses only operate from point A to point B with few , if any stops enrouts. The Campeche to Merida buses make no stops and use the toll road. The Merida to Tulum buses either operate with no stops or with a Valladolid stop. I have often asked the ADO ticket person for route details and they look at what appears to be the same as Ticketbus--but they can look over a bit to the right and see the route on their screen.

One thing the Ticketbus site does tell you is if the bus is Directo or DePaso. I try to opt for Directo since that means the bus originates in that city. The De Paso buses are more often late since they coming from elsewhere.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Routes

Bob

Just been fiddling on the TicketBus site and found that we can get a bus from Ticul thro to Tulum. Now need to find out about the Campeche/Ticul options. Might use Ticul as a base for Uxmal, etc.

bb

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Routes

Hey bluebottle47 I just spent 5 weeks travelling by bus around the Yucatan you can see the route here -

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

We stayed in Ticul and the quickest way to Campeche was to take a collectivo to Merida which only took an hour and then a 2 hour bus to Campeche - I was quite loathed to go back to Merida but the only bus from Campeche was in the evening and took about 4 hours! Campeche is great and very mellow so even if you did get there at night it's not such a worry.

We stayed in Ticul we liked it but others seem to prefer Santa Elena. In Ticul we stayed at Pousada el Jardin and the family there were so lovey and the town is not tourist focussed which is a nice change. The local Mercado is very interesting make sure you have a rummage! Let me know if you need anymore bus info.

(we travelled to Tulum via pit stops at Xpujil/Calakmul and Bacalar - times/distances were not so great as we anticipated).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Routes

"- I was quite loathed to go back to Merida but the only bus from Campeche was in the evening and took about 4 hours!"

I must not be understanding this because Campeche to Merida is a very busy route for ADO , with frequent service and taking 2 hours.

7. Re: Bus Routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16