We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free

indiana
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free

We are wanting to take our 3 granddaughters on a vacation but one has a gluten allergy plus dairy. Need advise on how to handle. Thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

Plenty of people with gluten allergies go on vacation to this part of the world and if you do a search of this forum for "gluten free", you'll get a zillion hits. you may wish to note though, that by default, the search results will be sorted by relevance, so pay attention to the date to ensure you're getting current (or reasonably recent) information.

The bottom line is that all inclusive resorts (if that's even what you're interested in) are cognisant of food allergy issues and are most responsive and co-operative in providing gluten free options. As for a dairy allergy, I suspect that's easier to deal with and there are plenty of non-dairy foods readily available..

I guess my question for you is how old is the granddaughter with the allergy? Is she old enough to understand her dietary limitations and adhere to them or is she sufficiently young enough that you have to watch her constantly? If the latter, is that something that you're prepared to do and how will the fact that so much of your attention will have to be focussed on the one child affect the other two?

In the event your granddaughter inadvertently ingests something she shouldn't, do you know what to do and are you comfortable with whatever that entails? ( I'm not that familiar with what a gluten allergy involves and whilst I understand that it's not particularly pleasant, I don't believe it's potentially life threatening in the same way that something like a peanut allergy could be.)

Finally, is it possible to get travel medical insurance coverage for your granddaughter that will cover treatment related to her food allergies, just in case? If the answer to that was no, then I would rethink taking the child at all.

Other than that, if you're comfortable dealing with the potential downsides of your granddaughter's allergies, I'd say go for it!

indiana
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free

Thanks so much for your response she is 11 and very aware of what she can and can not eat. Just wasn't sure if the resorts are to large to cater to it. I will have to do more research, again thank you.

3. Re: Gluten free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28