We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Hello

We are doing a roundtrip on the Yucatan-peninsula in August. We would like to dome some nice snorkeling too. Does anyone where are the best places? On internet I read a lot, but there is much contradiction. Some say Cozumel is great, but others say it is only a good diving place, not for snorkeling. Akumal beach would be great; Ya-Kul is awsome according to some and worthless according to others. And what about Puerto Morelos and Isla Mujeres? Or are there better places?

We are staying in Cancun at the beginning of our trip and in Akumal at the end.

Thanks for any good advice!

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

Our current fave is PM for the variety the nearby reef offers. Akumal is best for turtles. You may want to check out a whale shark adventure as well. Enjoy!

Edited: 08 May 2014, 14:08
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

Sounds like an awesome trip! Of your list, I’ve snorkeled all of them except Cozumel (yet lol). I put them in order of my favourites.

Yal-Ku – I love this place...it’s private property and there are path ways with all these sculptures down to the lagoon. Then there’s steps into the water. As for the snorkeling – it was ok.

Akumal Bay – Turtles! So fun! You can spend a whole day here and do Akumal, Half Moon and Yal-Ku...check out the Akumal forum...top questions on the upper right..lots of info.

Puerto Morelos – You can go out from the co op in a boat to the reef for about $25..it’s pretty good!

Isla Mujeres – El Farito (go out in boat for about $20-$25)...it took about 1 hour 15 from the time I got in the water to the time I got back into the boat. It was ok – I’d probably go again. There’s also Garrafon de Castilla at the south end of the island...50 pesos admission..cheap place to hang out and swim, snorkel etc.

Safe travels!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Forgot to ‘ditto’ DLPinMD’s comment - "You may want to check out a whale shark adventure as well." I haven’t done this (I can’t actually as I get really sea sick) but check out Isla Mujeres for this.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

OK, I suppose we'll try to do all those places and see for ourselves.

Yes, I hope it will be an awsome trip, but there's the fact that we will drive a rental car. Just read a post about someone ending up in jail after causing an accident....

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

Just got back from 8 nights in Akumal, go early to avoid the snorkel tours, better yet it sounds like you are staying there. My friend had a rental car and she always takes out all the insurance from the local rental car company (do NOT use Expedia, Hotwire, etc.) and has had no problems, and did have an accident a couple of years ago. Turned the car in, they drove her to the airport, no problem. Be sure and also get zero deductible (now called EPC). I did see a bad accident en route to the airport yesterday on 307 north of Playa causing major delays but the brief glance I saw of the cars involved, appeared to be locals not tourists. Have fun.

6. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17