We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area

London, England
Level Contributor
154 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which area

Hey all, we are looking at going to Mexico in July, we know it is the start of the hurricane season but it is somewhere we want to visit.

My wife isn't the strongest swimmer so I am concerned about rough water, and I remember Cancun being quite wavy. Which area has the calmest waters?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area

Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres is fairly calm in summer...at least it was when we were there....look at staying at the Privilege Aluxes, great hotel. If you want non AI, then check out Ixchel condos, or Nautibeach condos. You can get some great deals in summer sometimes.

Akumal Bay and Half Moon Bay would be sheltered and therefore calmer.

Really, the whole coast can be like glass in summer months- but it depends if there is a system in the area, of course!

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area

Agree with rissa, was in Akumal for 9 days in early May, it was windy a few days so too rough to go out in Half Moon Bay but Akumal was fine, no red flags, the reef is close to shore in Akumal.

3. Re: Which area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:16