We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campeche to Merida (Where to stay)

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Campeche to Merida (Where to stay)

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be flying into Cancun for two weeks in April 2014, second week is a friends wedding in Playa del Carmen (All inclusive resort) but the first week is for us to explore some ruins and sights etc and I am hoping to propose at some point prior to.

I'm thinking of going to Campeche and exploring from there up to Merida and back to the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area. Couple of nights in Campeche, couple of nights in Merida and maybe a couple in between. Unfortunately we won't be able to hire a car due to the license needing to be held for a minimum of 2 years (I believe?) but am happy to use the ADO and/or transfers.

I am currently looking at either

1. Hacienda Uayamon or Hacienda Puerta Campeche.

2. Then moving onto Merida at Hacienda San Jose or Hotel Hacienda Merida (http://www.hotelhaciendamerida.com/).

But not sure whether the former of the two are worth the potential taxi/bus runs to and from the towns? I'm an SPG member and really love the look of their hotels in the area they also look romantic and appear to have nice dinner options for the daunting proposal. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/advice on this?

Alternatively I was going to book a nice hotel for a week in say Riviera Maya but thought it would be nice to see something a bit different while keeping in the area. Cost is a consideration but not necessarily a hindrance.

Thank you,

David

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,290 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campeche to Merida (Where to stay)

As I posted on the other thread where you asked this, I know of no such requirement as a license being held for two years to rent a car in Mexico. The ADO buses are great but a car is also a good option if what you prefer.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campeche to Merida (Where to stay)

Agree - there is sometimes a surcharge for drivers under 25 but no requirement for a license to be held for 2 years (sometimes they say 1 year but even that gets waived once you're there).

I have been to Hacienda Uayamon and I think you might get bored there after a couple of hours. The menu is not very extensive and the food is really not that good to justify the expense. And you are miles from anywhere. Nice to visit but not to hang around.

3. Re: Campeche to Merida (Where to stay)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 14:15