We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who's been to gran melia?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
who's been to gran melia?

anyone been? any info i need to know..leaving in 2 days...never been to cancun

florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: who's been to gran melia?

I have been to the gran melia back in august and will be going back a second time march31thru april7th. They have 5 towers.one tower (i think it is tower #5)is used for royal service and tower 4&3 used for regular gusets and tower 2&1 for time share .they have an oppitional all inclusive plan for food back when I went in august .you can get the meal plan for 3 days or the whole stay .I think they still offer it .this includes drinks .so if you want to explore outside resturants and save the last 3 days of your stay to eat at the hotel you can split it that way .drinks are expensive so if you like to drink and snack you can besides breakfast and dinner eat lunch at the swim up bar ,order hotdogs ,hamberer,pizza or have lunch at the resturants .I like the swim up bar.please let me know how warm the pool water is .back in august it was like bath tub water ,it was so hot. I hope when I go in march 31 ,it will be warm

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: who's been to gran melia?

In the lobbys they do have people with light blue shirts that try to invite you to listen to their time share speech.just say you already own one and they leave you alone.I bought one two years ago and last august I was asked a few times in the lobby.

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: who's been to gran melia?

do they still offer AI i did not see it anywhere...

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: who's been to gran melia?

when I called the owners service # they told me that they had no notices saying it was discontinued. I will try to find the resort direct e mail and post it

los angeles
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: who's been to gran melia?

I also stayed in August and they offered an all inclusive, but they do not market it because it is ridiculously priced. I think it was about $200pp per day. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend staying here. We tried saving money by staying here, but realized we would've saved more money by going all inclusive at different resorts.

The hotel was really nice, but you'll have to walk pretty far to do anything. Example, each night stumbling home the walk to the lobby is far and up large stairs. I'm in shape, but that's not the point.. I didn't come here to do that much exhaustive work :)

Otherwise, the hotel is gorgeous. Think Luxor @ Vegas but with a rainforest theme. Lots of mosquitos on the inside too so be careful of that. Clean club. Clean rooms. Overall though, stay at an all inclusive somewhere else, you'll have a much better time because you definitely won't have saved money staying here. We averaged $200-$300 per day eating out or in.

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: who's been to gran melia?

itsigma

I belive I paid $90.00 a daypp for the ai.

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: who's been to gran melia?

In august at tower #1 ,I did not see any mosquitoes there or in the main lobby tower .as far as walking goes ,yes there is .if you plan on staying around the hotel to relax and not travel all around the place just on the beach alone ,when ordering drinks you save alot of money .4 small bottles of water was $14.00.if you go to walmart and stock up on water and go to the stores and lug all the packages back on the bus and up all those stairs in the front .you lost all the time you could of spent on the beach .if you have kids you dont want to drag them all over .If you were on the all inclusive you can order as much as you want and have it brought over to your beach chair.If 75% percent of the time you plan on relaxing at the resort ,and plan on using the beach and can afford the plan .remember you dont have to use the All inclusive the whole stay .you can use it for 3 days min .so I find that useful .have the best of both worlds.what other resort allows you to split the plan ? I still went sight seeing for the day . let me know sheri how you enjoyed the gran melia .i will be there on march 31

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: who's been to gran melia?

sheri ,I forgot to tell you to sign on to solmelia.com and get a mas card.that entittles you to benefits like a two for 1 breakfast .check that out

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: who's been to gran melia?

thanks for all your input....1 day to go......

i still have found out any info..on AI on website..i will call tyhem today

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: who's been to gran melia?

Hello; we stayed at the Gran Melia in July 2005 (see my review under Gran Melia--I gave it a "5"). We did the AI plan; my travel agency (Liberty Travel) had the information on the AI plan. We also paid about $90.00 per person per day. I believe it was well worth it as we were traveling with two teenagers, me & my husband. The hotel is beautiful; we had two junior suites in the first building to the right of lobby. The hotel is in a great location with Aqua World across the street. ENJOY!!