We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help from a seasoned traveler/expert...

Arkansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help from a seasoned traveler/expert...

I have been working travelocity, expedia, orbitz, etc pretty hard lately and have found that the rates vary quite a bit (even for the same resorts) between travel companies. There is one thing common, however, as I get closer, the rates go up. How long before my trip should I book my vacation so that I get the best deal possible?

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help from a seasoned traveler/expert...

Usually book mine about two months out...The resorts sometimes start to panic a little if they are not filling up as fast as they would like and throw out some lower prices to the travel providers

May and June specials should be starting to come out, but if you want a particular resort I would book it at least 2 or 3 months ahead if it's popular

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help from a seasoned traveler/expert...

It really varies depending on where you are going and when for when you should book. This last trip I was able to get a better deal booking directly through the airline and the hotel instead or orbitz or expedia or one of those. What I do is start on the discount sites then if I see an okay deal I check that airline or hotel directly to see if it's any cheaper. Also, I've even gotten better deals through a local travel agency - maybe try that. Tell them what the price is on the discount site and they'll usually match it or beat it. Finally, I've learned to just book what I feel is a good deal and they stop looking. You can drive yourself crazy trying to save 20 bucks. Good Luck!