We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres Ferry

Detroit
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres Ferry

We are here in Cancun and the rep told us the ferry from Puerto Juarez is $6.00 each way and the other by Oasis is $15 round trip. I had been reading on the forum before coming down that the ferry was $3.50 or $7 round trip from the downtown dock. What is true? We are planing to go this week and wish do know what is best. Thanks!

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

Puerto Juarez is $3.50 each way, ferries run till 1 am,

Hotel zone (incl. by Oasis) $7 each way, ferries run till 6 pm.

los angeles
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

Where is puerto juarez? Is that over by El Presidente? Or by the old Fat TUesday/

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

Just jump on the bus in the hotel zone that says "Pto Juarez". It will take you there. The ferry is $3.50 each way.

Alex

ny
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

I took a Fast ferry (was about 15.00 roundtrip) that literally took about 15 mins to cross over versus the SLOW ferry that is MUCH cheaper but can take about an hour each way..i would go fo the fast ferry for convenience sake!! ask your hotel concierge and they will give you info on where to take this ferry.

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

Fast ferries from the hotel zone are more convenient. You must be at the dock for return trip by 5:30.

After a day of golf cart, snorkeling and the beach, there is nothing better than wander the narrow streets, have a few beers at a cantina and listen to mariachi band in the evening. It is Old Mexico that doesn't exist in Cancun or Acapulco anymore.

So, I am all for the fast ferries - thanks to them, it is less crowded more laid-back and festive there after 6. Last "slow" ferry to Puerto Juarez leaves at 1 or 1:30 am; the ride is 35 minutes.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

The ferry from Pto Juarez is a high speed CAT that takes about 15 mins to cross. There is a REALLY slow ferry that takes longer (vehicle ferry) that is blue. Either way you can't lose I guess. Isla Mujeres is an awsome way to spend a day!

~A~

Alhambra, CA
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

There is now a new ferry to Isla Mujeres. It is about 1/2 mile before Puerto Juarez. It's called Gran Puerto. My family caught the ferry to Isla from there. The round trip is $7.00 USD. It is very fast - 15 minutes each way. To get there from the Hotel Zone will cost you $15.00 for taxi. The best and cheapest way is to take the #1 bus to Cancun Centro. Once on Avenida Tulum, get off at the first stop. Then hail a taxi and ask for Gran Puerto. The cost for the taxi is $2.00 USD. The ferry runs about every 1/2 hour. Last ferry from Isla is midnight.

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

Good to know that there are fast ferries from Pto Juarez now. I still don't mind a regular ferry though - mostly local crowd and watching Mexican MTV kinda adds to the flavour.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

just jump on the bus that says pto. juarez and tell bus driver u want

the ferry to the isla mujeres ...the bus trip is about a half hour to 45 min..our bus driver let us of right in front of the port (thereis a big white light tower (pto. gran)..tickets were $3.50 each way and the ferry ride was 15 mins .. nice new yellow cat. nice calm ride...just remember which dock u get off on because its the same dock u leave from (3 different docks)...ferries leave every 1/2 hr 6 am til midnite..this is nice so u can do everything u want at your pace..check out the hotel castillo (spelling?/) for snorkling , right next to graffon park,pay $4 bucks to use beach and $6 to rent gear if dont have),make sure we renting scooters /golfcarts point out any damage so they dont blame u...enjoy the isla and your trip

CT
Level Contributor
652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres Ferry

jtsigma, I don't think Puerto Juarez is near the Presdente International or where Fat Tuesdays used to be. According to the map I just checked, Puerto Juarez is near the Blue Bay Marina & Club .