We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel sized items

kansas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
travel sized items

I haven't flown since the airlines inacted their "nothing over 3oz." rule for toiletrees. I like to pack light and carry my luggage on. Has anyone flown lately that can speak to how strict this new law is? I hate to wait in baggage claim just for shampoo, sunscreen etc.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel sized items

Pretty strict, they took my moms 4.2 oz tube of tooth paste that was less than 1/2 full and my sons spray deoderant that was labeled 3.7 oz. All your liquids need to be less than 3 oz. each and all be in one quart size ziplock bag. This is for carry on, checked luggage can have larger containers.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel sized items

You'll probably get varying answers depending on the airport folks went through. You could always buy that stuff down in Cancun. I don't know about you, but 3oz of sunscreen won't last very long for me down there, and you only get one 1qt bag per person.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
372 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel sized items

I have found toothpaste and sunscreen in under 3oz and just buy two or three if they are small. As long as they all fit in a quart bag it is ok.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel sized items

I heard one TSA dudette mention the containers must be 3.4 oz (100 ml) or less. The last time I checked Canada used 100 ml and the USA 3 oz so verify the 100 ml (3.4 oz) container before buying them. I see a lot of 100 ml travel sizes.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel sized items

For us folks in the US, you can also check for this, and all kinds of other info direct from the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

We usually only pack trial sizes of essentials in our carry-on, and pack the rest in what we check (we use baggies in checked luggage too, just larger ones)

If all you are taking is carry-on, be prepared to lose anything over 3 oz., and to stand out if you hold up the line by trying to sneak them thru..... or be prepared to buy them at your destination.

Yes, it's a total pain in the bottom, but is something to just have to get used to... and its not really that bad.

kansas
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel sized items

I figured this would be the case. Guess we'll just send through our necessities and our snorkel gear for our day in COZ. Leave tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks you all who have helped answer questions for our trip.

OZMOM

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel sized items

tsa.gov

Remember the 3-1-1 rule.

Liquids in less than three ounce CONTAINERS, one quart size zip lock bag, one bag per person.

A four ounce bottle containing your favorite cream will be thrown out even if it contains an ounce.

A female doctor friend of mine went on a job interview to CA and had all her make up ETC thrown out if she wanted to catch her flight. A no makeup interview for her.

I packed small amounts of my most important stuff to get me thru a day or two.. all in one one bag labeled 311.. then I sent the rest of my daily 'stuff'' off in two double zip lock bags in my checked luggage. I would suggest checking some luggage these days, but carry on enough stuff for a day or two. After having Delta loose a bag of SHOES, good shoes, on my trip to St. Thomas I now pack every bag with complete outfits, shoes, etc. Now if one bag is lost at least I have half my stuff. I check two bags, carry on one. If they loose two bags, well I guess I am toast.

Carry on a bathing suit too. RX for sure.

8. Re: travel sized items

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 10:26