We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irma now Category 5

7 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Irma now Category 5

Been watching Irma closely as it is now cat 5. Flying into Cancun Wednesday Sept 6 (tomorrow) - Sunday Sept 10. Will Irma affect Cancun? Weather/flight delays or cancellations, etc. Should I make changes to the trip?

Already anticipating rain this week due to forecast but hoping Isla Mujeres weather holds up.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
57 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

The Gov. of Florida has issued a State of Emergency for his state. Irma is headed in that direction. There are no current Hurricane advisories for the Yucatan Peninsula. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

Nobody knows where Irma will be early next week. However, almost all projections do not take it close to Cancun. The best guess now is that it will either go up the east or west coast of Florida or maybe up the interior of the state. All you can do is watch the National Hurricane web site. The current forecast has it over Key West on Sunday. So even if it did head to Cancun it probably won't be until Monday. www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml…

Only you can determine if you should cancel. As of now unless you have cancel for any reason insurance you will not get any refunds for money paid if you cancel. Unless Cancun is under a hurricane warning you will be on your own as far as refunds go. To be honest the airlines will laugh at you if you ask for a refund or free delay of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

"Weather/flight delays or cancellations, etc."

If you're flying to Cancun from Florida (or any other place that's currently in the predicted path of Irma), then you may well experience flight delays/cancellations. If you were planning on visiting Cuba from Cancun, that might not be an option for the next little while.

Whether Irma will cause inclement weather in Cancun is anyone's guess at this point. The predicted route is nowhere near Cancun but hurricanes can change direction and a large system can drop significant amounts of rain on areas a long way from the main path of destruction.

If you're worried about it and have cancel for any reason insurance, then you could consider changing to a more arid location - Phoenix, Las Vegas or Dubai perhaps. If you don't have the type of insurance that will allow you to cancel or reschedule, then I wouldn't waste any effort in worrying about this as there's nothing you can do about it. Unless and until Cancun comes under a bona fide hurricane WARNING, hurricane insurance won't help you. I'm no meteorologist but, based upon current models and predictions, Cancun won't get a hurricane warning because of Irma.

My go-to website for these sorts of things is the National Hurricane Organization one linked to by David in the foregoing post.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

It is planned to turn sharply north once it nears western Cuba and the entire state of Florida is at risk for a direct hit. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst today here in Tampa. I've got refundable tickets (thanks Southwest) up north for the end of this week in case the evacuation order is given.

Edited: 05 September 2017, 17:02
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,324 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

Stay safe Eric.

Chicago
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

Just a thought. Although IRMA may not hit Cancun, how close does it have to be to effect Cancun weatherwise. I personally just Canceled my Hotel room and I'll lose a some on the airfare. Trip was Sept 8-15th. The very real possibility of rain for my enitre vacation was not worth the price i was paying. For ME, it was better to take a small hit in the wallet, than hope for the best weatherwise with a Major Hurricane so close to my destination.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

We're going the 11th-17th and are happily going as planned, as long as there are no flight cancellations on our way. Plenty to do in the rain and it's not a cold rain. Maybe the hurricane will affect us with some rain, currents and seaweed but I've been waiting for more than a year for this and we're going to make the absolute best of it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

Irma would have to come a lot closer then any current predictions have it coming. Right now tropical storm winds are 160 miles from the center. Current predictions don't have Irma coming closer then around 400 miles from Cancun.

coaltal45, I am curious why you would book Cancun during prime hurricane season if one 400 miles away and not forecast to come near Cancun causes you to cancel the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

@ the OP

Even though your Cancun vacation is not likely to be affected by hurricane Irma..

I say you cancel your vacation... 'in solaridity' with the thousands of vacationers booked for the north east Caribbean who will have their vacation plans ruined by this hurricane.

"Misery loves company" LOL

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bishop Auckland...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Irma now Category 5

I'm am there 12th-26th have saved over a year so worried it will create rain also ... I am not clued up

On hurricanes at all being from UK

Reply to: Hurricane Irma now Category 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted