We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kentucky
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres

Interested in going to Isla for just a few hours in the morning hours. Any information on who, what, when, where, etc.???

NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres

search Isla, there are lots of good tips in previous posts!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres

If possible, spend the whole day. We were there all day and I didn't want to leave! We took the 8 am ferry there and the 9 pm back to Cancun. Go to Garrafon Park- all inclusive day park open from 10 am- 5pm when we were there. You could rent a golf cart (I'd maybe do it for 1 hour next time instead of the full day) or rent a bike or taxi it for inexpensive. Our day on IM was my favorite. Next time I want to stay there and spend more time on Playa Norte. You can swim with dolphins and there is a turtle park. We didn't get to any of those. Enjoy! IMO, though a few hours isn't nearly enough time.

Napoleon, Ohio
Level Contributor
303 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres

I agree with the above post. Spend the day, it will go fast and if you want beach time it's great there. Just find a chair with an umbrella at many locations - free if you have a drink and most have a happy hour so it's really cheap. Something you must try for sure.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres

We went for the afternoon and rented a golf cart and cruised around the island. If you only have a few hours I would suggest doing that.

The shops in town are very similar to the ones in Cancun, T-shirts, silver, jewelry etc.

We took a cab from our hotel (ME by Melia) to the Puerto Jaurez dock. Cab ride was $15 but worth it. The ferry at PJ is $7 round trip and a fast 15-minute ride to the island. There are other ferries that are more costly pp or slower (car ferry) so be careful.

Depending on what your interests are and the time available you can get a good feel for the island in a few hours...just not able to participate in the items other posters listed.

If they appeal to you then by all means stay for the day.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres

we took the ferry from the hotel zone, $15 pp round trip, left from the embarcadero. Here they have two a.m. departures and two late afternoon returns. Quick ride over on a speed boat. Rented our golf cart on board for $40 (make sure you have your drivers license with you). Had intended to go snorkeling but opted out. Drove all over the island, armed with our "MapChick map" and explored to our hearts content. Strolled around the shops, (eh) had an ice cream. Storm clouds started rolling in so we called it a day.

We actually used this as a lazy diversion to get away from spending the day in our swimsuits in the sun.

the advantage of the pto juarez ferry is the schedule ... more frequent departure & returns.

Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres

This is a must do...take an early morning ferry. We took a day trip the first day, catamaran, snorkled, had lunch and held a nurse shark. Google Operadora Samba, for the website. It was an awesome trip.

We liked it so much at the island that we took the ferry the next day. I would suggest spending a whole day there, you will find there is a lot to do, the beach is smaller, but very nice, the water is not nearly as rough as in cancun.

If you have other questions...please ask!

7. Re: Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 14:27