We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just got back-questions?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
just got back-questions?

Just got back this morning from a week at the Royal Sands.

Will be posting a review of the hotel in the next week or so.

Had a great time in Cancun; it was a first time for me.

We did Tulum and Xel-Ha, had my Entertainment plus 2x1 card and used it several times, checked out some restaurants, checked out some clubs, went to Playa and Cozumel, and spent quite a bit of time downtown.

If anyone has questions I'll give you my perspective after having just been.

Already thinking of ways to get back!!!!

ontario
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: just got back-questions?

How did you decide to go to Royal Sands. Is it a time share or did you book thru a travel agent? What kind of room(s) did you have. Friends of our go to RS every year because they like the size of the rooms and can fit their large family in one room. This is what I am interested in. Also, how is the beach there?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just got back-questions?

The Royal Sands is a time-share resort.

We obtained a week from a relative of mine.

The resort is gorgeous. The beach area is beautiful; the best beach area that we saw in the hotel zone.

The rooms are nicely appointed. Get the Suite or the whole Villa if you can. There are "lock-off" rooms availabe which are also nice but can only sleep 2. ALL the rooms in the resort (regardless of room type) have a balcony with an ocean view!!!

As others have already stated on the boards, the convenience store in the resort lobby was very handy. Some things were fairly priced (local beer), while others were over-priced (American brand snacks i.e. Doritos and Pringles).

Another thing to note is that with your room key you can charge all your purchases to your room, whether it be from the hotel convenience store, any of the restaurants at any of the 5 Royal Resorts in Cancun, or any Thomas Moore travel agency in Cancun.

Service was top notch.

No harrassement at the Resort from time-share folks at all!!! This was the biggest surprise for me. Maybe it's because I look about 10 years younger than I really am!!

I would definately recommend the Royal Sands.

ontario
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: just got back-questions?

So, mynutz.......:) How would one go about booking this resort if you don't have that connection? Sounds fabulous!

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just got back-questions?

How did you like Xel-Ha? Was the 2 X 1 worth it? We're going in May and I was wondering if I should buy one online. We want to do Xel-Ha and the Mayan Ruins.

Dayton, NJ
Level Contributor
482 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just got back-questions?

manyboys.. you can go online to www.royalresorts.com and rent through the website. I own 2 weeks and it is a great place to hang. I love sitting on the balcony, drinking tequila and smoking a cuban while listening to the ocean. This is true paradise. The villa or suite has a full kitchen with all you need to make your own drinks or save some money and make some meals in.

ontario
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: just got back-questions?

Thanks Housingman. I will do that. You have just painted the most amazing picture for me. I'm there!!! Except for the cigar. I would be enjoying one of the dozen cigarettes I treat myself to through the year. My husband would be with you on the cigar!!

salt lake city utah
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: just got back-questions?

We are going in a week to cancun and want to know about snorkeling there, not cozumel or isla mujerus. Did you go snorkeling? off the shore? on a boat? etc.

Thanks, Utah

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
509 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just got back-questions?

mynutz, did you have any problems or notice any with the "sealice" that has been mentioned that get in ones swimming suit while in the ocean?

Hey Utah we're from Kaysville and will be there 4/16 thru 4/22 staying at the Tucancun

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just got back-questions?

Did you enjoy Xelha? Was it very hot?.We will be in Cancun on the 15th. Any tips?

Sioux Falls, SD
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: just got back-questions?

Was the Tulum/Xelha your too much to do in 1 day? My wife and I are heading to Cancun in June and were thinking about doing the same trip. Is there alot to do on lonad at Xel Ha my wife is not much of a water person , but I love to snorkel, etc.... so I want to make sure that my wife will have something to do while I am in the water.