We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

We' re planning a trip with another couple. After extensive searching we've decided on Cancun. Unfortunately we have to go during Spring Break. I'm way pass the time where I enjoyed bar hopping and would like to avoid excessively drunk high schoolers and college kids. Are there areas/resorts we should absolutely avoid? Since we've never been there I have no idea what would be good options for us. We enjoy good food and fun beverages but can't decide if we'd get our money's worth at an all-inclusive. Or if it makes more sense to just pay as we go. Sorry to be so vague, but I thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks for any info!

nyc
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

Why Cancun?PDC and further south is much nicer,better beaches and safer,are you all big drinkers/like to eat?If yes..then go for the A-I.

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

now positivek get off my Cancun :-)

But around spring break I would go as pricey as possible no matter where you end up in the Yucatan...Have to go somewhere the kids will be priced out

If value is concerned...AI is the only way to go...You will definitely spend less

If cost is a factor I highly recommend Golden Parnassus...Won't be any spring breakers there as it's made up mostly of couples 30's and up...Not pricey by any means, but you shouldn't be around Mr Frat 2008

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

pugcrazy: I too would suggest Playa del Carmen especially if you say you aren't at the age of bar hopping anymore. PDC was wonderful! Cancun was nice too, but I'm not 18 anymore!

ma
Level Contributor
551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

pug, you asked what resort we'd recommend in cancun correct? not sure why others are trying to change your mind, Cancun is awesome, just need to stay at the right resort. If all inclusive, research GR Solaris, Omni, Riu Palace, Sun Palace, Leblanc, dreams, all very nice, not spring breakers. If not all inclusive, research Gran Melia, Fiesta American Grand Coral Beach, jw marriott, lemeridien. Have fun choosing!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

We are well pass Spring break age ourselves but do spend a bit on frozen beverages. We feel the best bang for our dollar is all inclusive, we eat and drink any and all we want and no worries. The food is usually all we could want and more, the drinks are free flowing. We go out and about and maybe buy one beverage but otherwise, we save our money for souveniers and not food. The European Plans are not nearly as economical for us, plus we spend time looking for coupons, trying to decide how much we can eat and we are not spin thrifts and have the money, we just hate throwing it away. We have gone to very nice restaurants, spent alot of money on a meal and come away not pleased. All inclusives, we don't like one restaurant, we get up and go to next. We will not take any more vacations, if we can help it, that are not to All inclusives.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

pug is right. A-I is popular for a reason and the reason is that it's one less thing to worry about while on vacation. Even if you are not a big drinker, all those meals, snacks, sodas, etc. add up. it would stress me out to think about paying $7 for a soda!! And the best way to avoid spring breakers is to stay where they cannot afford to go. Sun Palace is an excellent choice. It's far enough away, yet close; it's couples/adults only; and the beach is oh so nice. good luck in your search.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

i meant - Pug, Hart is right. oops!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

Last time we went we stayed at Moon Palace, loved it, everything was wonderful. I think next time we will go to Sun Palace, my husband was there years ago, anxious to see new remodel. We just go back from Key West last month, and it was so expensive to eat out every day, and the food was average at best, minimum $50-$70 dinner, $50 lunches, $30-35 breakfast, not including adult beverages, that was our last time to go European Plan. Never again. SINCE it is spring break, you might prefer Moon Palace, its out from the hotel zone, you can easily get into town via cab, but its so self contained we hardly left the resort, everything we needed was right there.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

I to am past the bar hopping, puking through your nose drunk phase in my life, but I love Cancun. We have stayed in PDC and it's very nice. But we always end up back in Cancun. Love it. There is a lot to see and do, close to shopping and great restaurants and nightlife if that's what you want.

I to love the AI scene. Figure out what your budget is and pick a great place. RPLA, Sun Palace, Cancun Palace, Great Parnassus Royal Cancun, just to name a few. There are many great resorts to choose from. Not slamming the Moon Palace, but I wouldn't make that my first pick if you want a beautiful beach. they do have wonderful pools and the service is exceptional but we would not go back there simply beacuse if the beach./water situation.

10. Re: Help! Overwhelmed by choices.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 18:16