We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early does everyone book their vacations?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How early does everyone book their vacations?

We are probably going to go with my wifes sister and hubby next year in mid March or so..

Last several years we have booked about two months before..

Wifes sister will probably want to book very soon.. like in the next few weeks.

Thoughts anyone?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

Two points to be aware of, number one is that mid March is prime spring break time in Cancun. Therefore the rates may not only be higher than you expect but it may be tougher to book reservations if you wait too late.

My two suggestions are that if you don't want to be in Cancun with many college students then you should wait until the week after Easter Sunday to visit Cancun. The temps are fantastic and you will have lower prices as well.

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

Honestly, if you find an incredible deal while searching for rates...BUY IT NOW! That's what happened to me for my upcoming trip to Cancun in June...Hotwire had tickets from Minneapolis to Cancun for $288 TOTAL--thats including all taxes and fees---and I so I bought two tics for me and my fiance back in September. But if you're not flexible ,i.e. getting time off might be an issue, you might want to hold off until sooner. But todays travel industry is a day to day operation and you never know what is going to happen with flucuating rates...so like I said, if you see a fantastic deal, I would grab it up!

Myrtle Point, OR
Level Contributor
910 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

We usually start watching prices about 6 months before we plan

to go then wind up booking a couple monthe before.

Be aware of passport issues though. If you do not have your

passport in hand do not book a vacation.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

For our family March vacation, we book in mid or late Sept...may seem early but in it is prime season and the earlier is deff the way to go!

As for us college kids...you will never run into us unless you go to the clubs...people on here are just paranoid about us

Some great hotels I recommend

*Hilton

*Mariott Casa Magna

*Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach

*Fiesta Americana Condessa

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

We just booked today for next Feb. only because the deal was an early booking bonus of save the taxes so why not book right? I find that when we have done this in the past years we have never found it cheaper after we booked. Plus I heard that if you do something like a last min. deal these are the ones that if a hotel is over booked the "last min. deals" are the ones that get bumped. I am not sure if that is true or not but that is what I heard....

Missouri
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

I usually book us a couple months out. One time I booked it within a month.

I get too excited to wait, usually.

:-)

Post Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
190 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

We usually travel at Christmas/New Year and on top of that we try to use air miles so this means we are booking our air as soon as the air line lets us. The resorts/hotels are a little slower in when they open up reservations in advance. We usually book about March for a December trip.

Sounds like you are trying to book at a very busy time for Cancun. I wouldn't wait on the airfare - book it and then you can take a bit of time for the hotel, unless you are looking for a package deal.

just my 2 cents,

PR

chicagobeachbums
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

I have booked both late and early. I find the best deals usually are more within 90 days of your travel date. However, that does not mean that you won't find a good deal ahead of time either. Sometimes it makes a big difference where you are going also.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

We are members at one resort and timeshare owners at another. We go in late January and February and we reserve our rooms as soon as the resorts allow us for the next year. For airlines, we start watching 330 days out and since we know the costs of flying to Cancun (next year will be our 14th year in a row) we have a pretty good idea of what a good deal will look like. For the past two years we have gotten good airfare as soon as we were able to book the flights.

A lot depends on where you fly out of for good deals and if you want to do charters. We live in the Pacific Northwest and really good deals are few and far between. Also, charter flights are not our first (or even 10th) choice and it would have to be for air only.

Start watching now and if you see what you think is a good deal and it fits your budget go for it. If your wifes sister and hubby do not have a passport have them apply NOW. They should get their passports in time for the trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early does everyone book their vacations?

I agree with the previous post...we are traveling to Cancun in September, but found a low airfare in February so I booked it.

Now the same flight has increased by $200. per person. We waited for awhile to book the hotel, as September is generally a slower month in Cancun.