We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

I am looking at getting married in Cancun next year. I am looking into 2 hotels, Moon Palance and Riu Palace Las Americas. Has anyone been married their? I am especially interested in the Riu Palace as I cannot find much information on this place. I just wondered if anyone has any advice.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

Hello Mish

I am looking at the Palace of the Cancun - i too am getting married there next year hopefully

have u got all ur info about blood tests and stuff????

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

I haven't looked at that kind of thing yet. I am having a hard enough time deciding where to go!

I think the blood tests are done by the hotel. I have spoken to a few people about the Moon Palace and they all loved it!! Just seems a bit out of the way from the time centre as I went to Cancun last year but stayed in the centre and Moon Palace was a bit of a treck (the last hotel to be picked up on excursions) but I've also heard they have buses that run into Cancun centre regularly.

If you find out anything please let me know.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

Yeah Mish thats what i thought the Moon looks gorgeous but we want to be right near everything so looking at the Riu hotels they are right by the nightlife.

I am waiting for Thomsons brochures to come out for next year

Let me know if you see anything

Ive found that if you are getting married its cheaper to do it direct with the hotel ive been emailing the Riu ones and they have been dead helpful

dallas
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

i'm getting married there in june. my advice depends on if you have people coming to your ceremony or not. let me know.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

djmax

No there are only going to be the two of us - we will have a party when we get back though

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

djmax

There will be between 5 and 10 people coming to the ceremony. I think we are slightly favouring the Moon Palace. The only thing that is putting me off is I have heard that the beach isn't as good as on the hotel zone.

Delaware
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

What do you need to get blood tests done for?!?!?!

dallas
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

sorry for the delay in reply.

after many weeks of internet perusal, my bride and i decided to get a religious ceremony in cancun rather than a civil one, reasons as follows:

no blood tests

no 3 day wait after the blood test

no $1000 extra to make it legal in the US

almost got ripped by a "dream wedding" company who was supposed to arrange everything

almost all co-ordinators expect full payment in advance if ceremony not performed by/at hotel(our co-ordinator asked for $400 down payment on $2k wedding-balance due on arrival)

many hotels offer "free weddings" but balance that with what i feel are inflated rates for your stay.

we're a taking a party of 40-50, staying at one hotel, getting married at another hotel's beach and feel we've made great decision in doing so. we're also having a civil ceremony in dallas so as to be legal in the states. more later. do a google search on cancun wedding. you'll have many hours to digest the info. if you want, i'll point you to my co-ord after you've done some background. -max-

Midland, MI
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

Just reading all of your info for your wedding next year, Congrats to all! But, we just returned from the moon palace and I would be VERY disappointed if I were to get married there. I would recommend the RUI 100 times over! Moon Palace beaches are horrible merly brown water with seaweed 2 inches think on the beach, they have trackters going up and down the beach every 10 min trying to clean it up. Then get this, they pile the seaweed from the beach in a huge mound at the south end of the resort and that is where the wedding's take place, lovely back ground picture! And as far as the bus rides into Cancun, you are given a 4 hour voucher, you HAVE to come back with the voucher time otherwise you have to pay for a cab back. If you leave at noon you come back at 4, if you leave at 2 to have to come back at 6 and so on. And noon bus we found didnt really end up pullingout until about 12:30 getting to Cancun about 1:00 so you really only had 2 1/2 hours to do anything because you had to get back to the location they were picking you up at. I noticed that a lot of the wedding after parties were just held in the restaurants, we wouldbe at dinner and you could look around and see tables with brides and their parties, that would be very disappointing to me, private wedding with a reception or gathering after words of 500 people you've never seen before. Not for me! Please check with the RUI, its all around a better place to be!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weddings in Cancun HELP!!

Hi, it's true that the beach is not as nice at the Moon Palace than at some other hotels, but there's nothing to stop you going to any of the other Palace Resorts; I've heard that the Cancun Palace beach is beautiful. I very much doubt that they take your wedding photos in front of the seaweed anyway! And you can also pay to have a private reception. It costs a bit extra but at least it will be just you and your friends and family! I have been reading reviews from people who have been married here for a long time and I have not heard one couple say anything bad about their wedding.

I am getting married at the Moon Palace next year so if you have any questions, let me know. Hope everything goes well for you and your future hubby no matter what you decide! I'm sure it will be wonderful!