We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car or not?

Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
rent a car or not?

There are 7 of us travelling to Cancun on July 13-20. I have a minivan reserved through Dollar rentals for a total of $391.00. If we add on complete insurance coverage it is 425.00 per day, no deductible. We are staying at the Grand Mayan between Cancun and Playa del carmen. My questions are :

1. Should we get the full coverage insurance? I'm leaning towards yes.

2. Is it a waste of money to even rent a minivan for a party of 7?

Iknow the bus fares are cheap but not really convenient and cab fare for all of us for a week would surely be more expensive. Right?

PA
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car or not?

Have you ever driven in Mexico before? We rented a car to drive to the ruins in Tulum from Tulum, and it was scary. First of all, the highway from the airport down the coast has these huge speed bumps. You actually need to stop to go over to them, or you are going be needing that full coverage. Also, when you make a left hand turn, you pull off the road onto the right shoulder, and wait until you can cross all lanes to turn left. These are just the thing we discovered, and we only had the car for a few hours. So, you may want to do some research before renting a car. Have fun!

Bristol,wisconsin
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car or not?

Say again? It's costing you $425.00 A DAY??? I realize it's a mini-van, but are cars more reasonably priced? It's just going to be my husband and I, and are thinking of renting a car. We're staying in Playa del Carmen and want to go into Cancun, as well as to Tulum.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent a car or not?

That $425 must be a typo. Last September I paid under $200 for a week including basic insurance (smallish automatic with a/c).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
626 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rent a car or not?

Check Europcar through Yahoo or maybe through this site. Price without insurance is under $500 per week.

BUY ALL THE INSURANCE YOU CAN GET. Standard loss Waivers may leave you open for 10% of value of van or some other set amount.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent a car or not?

why do you say the bus is not convenient? we love the bus- never bother with a car

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent a car or not?

We have been to Cancun 7 times now and have rented a car for the last 4 times.

I think renting a car is fine, unless you are a timid driver. We are NOT timid drivers and have no problem whatsoever. Just obey speed limits, stay in your lane, watch for the speed bumps and you'll be fine.

If you are staying only in Cancun, you do not need a car at all, but if I were staying south of Cancun, in the RM, I would definitely get a car (unless you never want to leave your resort).

Each person has their own comfort levels, and it did takes us until our 4th trip to Cancun to rent a car for our day trip to XelHa/Tulum, so we were some what familiar with the area by this time. That does help.

I would definitely get the full coverage insurance. And I think a rental car will definitely save you money over taxi fares.

7. Re: rent a car or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 03:18