We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good or bad, you decide

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Good or bad, you decide

I've been hitting this site for a couple of years now, and I'm always left scratching my head.

Sometimes the reviews are all over the place, for example, I stayed in the Playa Del Carmen region last year, after sorting thru all the reviews, I finally picked a place to stay.

It was rated 3 stars....some good reviews, and some horror stories....who to believe??

I'm sure we all would love to stay at 5 star resorts, but the reality is, I can't afford it with a wife and two kids, so I roll the dice and hope for the best, and for me, it turned out great. Yeh we had a few bumps in the road, but nothing to ruin our family vacation.

Judging by some of the reviews, I'm not sure if some people's expectations are just unrealistic, but for me and others who are left relying on their words, you get scared away from some places.

Bottom line: who to believe??

Barrie
Level Contributor
724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good or bad, you decide

There are as many opinions as there are people; probably more.

The reviews are helpful in narrowing down what is important to us. We couldn't give a rat's ... about a transfer; some go on and on about it. It is important to us for pool, bars, snacks and beach to be close together (3 kids; rarely common wants at one time) - to have that, we will sacrifice grandeur lobbies, kiss-a.. staff and minibars for that anytime. For some, an opposite is preferred. Some like waves; others calm, shallow water. That is why reviews are important. We also find plenty of good 3* better for us than some 5*.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good or bad, you decide

I agree with you mc. I think you have to take each review with a grain of salt - even the good ones. If you are a laid back person and don't let every little thing hinder your vacation then I don't think you need to worry about where you stay. In the reviews for the place I am staying people are complaining about having to walk to far to the pool. Are you kidding me - that ruined your vacation? Anyway, my opinion is if the place is clean, has friendly service, and has the ammenties you want then book it. Another idea is to post on the board the place you are staying at and see what kind of opinions you get. Good luck!

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good or bad, you decide

hi emm and mcamp

have to totally agree, many people expect to much, but having laid out so much money they you can see why. beleive me we have stayed in some grotty places in our time [cavos in corfu out of season] the absolute pits did we have a bad time, we could have had but we didnt let it,

we stayed at the tucancun 3 years ago it was rated 44 [by the way i take the ratings with a pinch of salt] it was very good, but it should be for when you split ai from ep and adults only then the tucancun is very high in its class

great talking barry and mary

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
429 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good or bad, you decide

MC, I also agree with you. I have also been hitting this site for about 3 years but didn't actually join and give my 2-cents until 2007. Personally, I have gotten a little wiser to the way people write reviews and actually narrow my search down to 3 or 4 then read and re-read the reviews. Our first year in Cancun we picked Dreams to stay at. A lot of different reviews, but the one that still sticks in my mind is where a lady gave it 3 stars because "it was way too windy at this resort". You're by the Ocean lady - it's gonna be windy. But, it was a great place and we were glad we picked it.

I've said in other posts about this same subject as has many others is if you have had a bad experience, elaborate on what you mean. So, if you see a bunch of reviews where people for instance got sick after eating at the buffet that should be a red light for the reader.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good or bad, you decide

yes sun

could not agree more,

we came down on the lift on day with an english family who were slateing of the golden parnassus as the worse that they had stayed at, you know me i had to find out why, so mary went to the beach and i had a drink with them at the lobby bar for an hour before there transport took then to the airport. there complaint which spoilt there holiday was that there 18 year old daughter had no friends to meet. the problem was they picked the wrong hotel for their circumstances and a question on

ta would have saved them a lot of money

barry and mary

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good or bad, you decide

This is a good conversation. I've read reviews for a couple years, but just found the forums recently. For one, the forums really help.

Last year my husband and I read the reviews for the RIU Cancun and they were pretty mixed, but we figured we weren't terribly hard to please so we booked. We had a blast, but wouldn't return to that hotel again. From that trip we learned what was 'make or break' for our decision to pick a hotel going forward. (as said before, what is important to us isn't necessarily what is important to others). Now we read the reviews with that filter in place.

I also pay attention to where people are from in their review. We noticed that (in general of course) Europeans and Asians didn't mind the hard (and I mean hard) beds at our hotel. Americans in general complained. We're from the San Francisco area, so in regards to food we tend to follow the food reviews from people from other large metropolitan areas. We don't have children so we tend to stay away if people RAVE about how great it is for the family.

Finally, if I see a review that seems kinda out of whack compared to others, I try to see what else the person has reviewed to get an idea of their individual preferences and biases.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good or bad, you decide

hi rdwinelvr

great reply

are you british in disguise

barry and mary

PA
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good or bad, you decide

The resort we picked for this trip also had mixed reviews. However, I then read reviews for resorts that we have been to and loved. I found bad reviews for them as well. It comes down to, you just can't please everybody. I think I am pretty easy to please, so I tend to keep an open mind and enjoy myself. It could be worse. I could be at home, nowhere near an ocean!

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good or bad, you decide

hi jb73

yes you have summed it up to perfection

but its rearly cheating reading you own resorts reviews, somebody trying to tell you something that you know is untrue

its all about ticking boxes

your resorts ticks all yours and dont let anybody belittle it, stand up for it, as you know the truth

hope you realise what i am trying to say

bary and mary

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
429 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good or bad, you decide

hey barry and mary,

that was a good idea to stay back and let the person ranting about the golden have his say. It's a good way to see what people like and dislike. I never really noticed there being a big difference in the reviews from British people to U.S. to Canadian. I think no matter where you are from or how you are brought up has a lot to do with what people expect. I would never stay in a roach motel, but old, as long as it's clean is fine with me.

The hard beds - that has been the very least of our concerns when we stay in Cancun. I kept reading about the Golden having harder beds than most. I slept like a baby when we were there this year but they had a mattress pad already on the bed that we didn't ask for. It was almost to soft.

Anyway, this is a very good topic for everyone to debate on. Can't wait until we go again so I can put all of 'IMO' to good use.