We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

Ok I have narrowed it down to these three hotels. I can get all for the same price. Someone tell me which one would work for us better! My husband and I are in our late 20's. I like the posh modern look of all three hotels. We usually like large hotels with lots of restaurants, food selection. I included Cancun palace on the list because I don't mind children, and it is a larger hotel then the Sun palace. So how do they compare on:

Beach

Pool

Food

Nightlife (if we don't want to go out into town)

Overall atmoshphere

Someone please help us, I would like to book sometime today or tomorrow.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

my wife and I are in our late 20's as well. We are booked for the Sun Palace Aug 4-9. We were narrowed down to the same three and chose the Sun Palace based on the reviews. Cancun Palace just seemed like it would have been too big for me, so we ultimately went with Sun Palace over Royal Cancun due to price.

Beach:

From what the reviews say, the beach is great at the Sun Palace.

Pool:

Obviously being a smaller resort, the pools are not going to be as large, however most reviews for the Sun have been positive on the two pools. There is a small pool, as well as the larger pool where various activites are held. There is a hot tub as well.

Food:

Most of the reviews for the Sun are favorable toward the food. Not as many selections as a larger resort, however.

Nightlife:

The Sun is at the bottom of the "7," away from the nightlife, however it is just a quick cab ride or bus ride to the action. The opinions are favorable on the nightlife at the Sun.

Overall atmosphere:

The resort is couples only......so, no kids. Contemporary design. Laid back atmosphere.

The above is from what I have read of the reviews for the Sun.

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

Just back June 10th from the Sun Palace and with the exception of getting VERY ILL we had a great time. In no way am I blaming my intestinal problems on the Sun Palace. There are too many variables to blame one source and it could have been something I caught here in the US. The resort was very nice with great staff. The food was lacking as compared to other places that we have stayed at though. Drinks by the pool were never the same, however the lobby bar had fantastic bartenders and drinks were ALWAYS spot on. Just booked the RIu Palace Las Americas for October 5th - 12th.The beach was PERFECT!!! Pools were Perfect!!! Staff was Perfect!!! Rooms were Perfect!! In my opinion I would nick the Cancun Palace from your list and concentrate on the Sun or the RC...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

Thanks for the advice so far!! Just a quick question though, why nick the CP? Did you visit the resort while staying at Sun Palace? Also does the Sun Palace have a pool/ beach side restaurant to go and grab a quick bite to eat? How was the beach is it large?

West Seneca, New...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

Yes they have a poolside grill. Beach is HUGE.. lifeguard is fantastic and will drag your lounger anywhere you want and dig a hole and install an umbrella if you desire. At Cancun Palace you are more of a number than a person. IMHO. We visited very briefly and was nowhere near as nice and since we have 4 kids of our own I didn't want to deal with other peoples kids on our vacation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

ok that all sounds good. Did you find that there was enough food, resturant choice? What is around the hotel walking distance, I have heard that the Royal and Cancun palace are located close to shopping, etc.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

I haven't been to the Royal Cancun but I've been to the other two hotels. My husband and I are in are late 20's early 30's. We stayed at SP and just visited CP while we were there. SP is nice but I thought it was a little boring compared to other hotels I've stayed at as far as nightime activies go. There's more resturants at CP. The beach at both places is nice. The pool is larger at CP. At SP they have two pools - one with a swim up bar and one with one that you have to get out to go to the bar. Neither of the pools are exactly huge. One gets shade in the morning the other in the afternoon so if you want sun all day the beach is the best bet. CP is closer to town for night life but it was no problem taking the bus from the SP. Remember, whichever one you stay at you can always visit, eat, play at the other ones. Good Luck!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

So from what you saw, what were the downside to CP, other then not being adult only?

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

I have not been to the RC, but it is on my list to try. I have, however, been to the other 2 ~ SP in April & CP last week with our kids.

The CP was nice, but it was a little large for our tastes. There were a lot of families and kids, etc. The service is good, but not near the caliber of the SP.

At the SP all rooms are ocean view. The service is to die for. We had enough choices for food. Now the Oriental Lounge is open for full dinner. It was only appetizers in April. The beach is probable twice the size of the CP. There is a band that plays in the lobby bar each night at both places. They also have shows throughout the week. There really is not a lot within walking distance of the Sun, but the buses run regularly and are cheap.

Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

If your only hesitation on selecting the Sun Palace is the fact that they only have four restaurant choices for dinner and even more limited choices for other meals, then I would recommend selecting it anyway. You can easily hop on the city bus and be at the Cancun Palace and use all of their facilities including restaurants. You don't say when you will be going so the Beach Palace may be open as well. We stay for two weeks in January every year and yes we get a little tired of the restaurants by the end of the trip so we have learned to spread ourselves around a little and take advantage of the stay at one play at all feature of Palace resorts.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP!! Royal cancun, Cancun Palace, or Sun Palace

The only downside I saw to CP was the kids factor. The beach is a little bit smaller but it's still a very nice beach. That's where I would pick if it were me and my husband again. Each hotel is very nice and I am sure you'll be happy at either one.