We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

phila burbs
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

What would you say is your best idea for protecting belongings while you are in the water, getting a drink, using bathroom etc. so that they are not removed/stolen. this is always an issue for us on a cruise or at a big resort and after hearing about a bag theft at RPLA on this board I am a little concerned about safety of i-pod, sirrius, and other stuff we usually have with us at poolside/beach

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
470 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

Are you by yourself?

I would say just use common sense. This could happen anywhere, not just on vacation. If you are worried enough that your ipod will be stolen, then take it with you to the bar/bathroom.

Even though I trust my coworkers, I would not leave any of these things laying on my desk at work. Same thing on vacation...

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

I have stayed at RPLA twice and never had an issue with theft. Of course I have not taken an ipod or sirius with me to the beach or pool. I almost always had my camera and about $10 in my bag.

I agree with the previous poster, if you are worried about theft take them with you or leave them in the room. I know you can't take them with you into the water.

cheshire, uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

I had this exact same conversation with my mum last night, as I read the post on the RPLA theft and we are staying there in September, but what you must remember is opportunist thieves are about everywhere you go!! They too take holidays, so yes do the same as the above poster recommends, I normally put my bag handels through the sunbed legs so if someone goes to pick it up, then they have to take the bed too!!! hehe or tie it with a piece of ribbon! just a thought!

have a great holiday

jane x

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

One suggestion is if you are going with someone else, take turns getting in the water so the other person can watch the belongings.

phila burbs
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

thanks thats just what I was looking for I will bring a bag with handles long enough to put though the legs and a little ribbon idea is great, I know I could take stuff to the ladies room its just really while in the water that I'm concerned about , THANKS

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

www.pacsafe.com has great products

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

aquapac.net has great waterproof bags. They have a "fanny pack" sort of bag and one that velcros around your arm. Just some ideas. We're actually going to buy the fanny pack see through bag and my husband volunteered to wear it :)

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

down at the beach we usually ask the folks around us if they mind keeping an eye on our stuff. We do the same for them. As others have mentioned we don't take much stuff of value with us. We do have otterboxes for our ipods so if we wanted to just wear em in the water we could ... but we just tuck them under a towel so they are at least out of site.

The only thing of mine that someone tried to walk away with was the little bag I keep my suntan lotion in. It's worth zero to me, though I like it ... but later found out it sells for a bit on e-bay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
537 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

We usually stay close to our chairs while we are in the water so that we can keep an eye on our stuff. Also, usually just one of us will run to the restroom or bar while the other stays behind to watch the stuff. I try not to bring much stuff of importance to me down to the beach or pool so that I don't have to worry about it (not just getting stolen but me losing it!). Usually, I buy a disposable camera so then I don't have to worry about my expensive camera getting wet, sandy or going missing. Then I bring less than 20 bucks down so that way I don't spend the whole time checking up on my stuff.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to protect stuff at pool/beach from theft

Don't bring it if your worried about it.

On the other hand, we just put a towel over our stuff and go to the water. I kinda watch our seats while in the water. Never had a problem. We are never far away, or gone for long.