Air Transat has cancelled all its flights from Canada to Cancun for this weekend (Aug. 18 & 19) in accordance with the State of Quintana Roo's alert instructing tour companies to not bring travellers into the region. For some odd reason, United Airlines is continuing to flying to Cancun.
I am very concerned because my 19 year old daughter and friend are supposed to fly to Cancun via Chicago and scheduled to arrive in Cancun on Tuesday August 21st at 1:00 PM. When I contacted Travelocity, the agent told me that the flight is still scheduled to fly. I explained that I am worried and need to know my options as far as rebooking or changing the flight.
We purchased trip cancellation and interruption insurance but not hurricane insurance. He was not very knowledgeable and told me that if we wanted to make any change to the flight or destinaiton, that the girls would have to complete their travel within 7 days of the original travel dates. I explained that this would not work since both girls are returning to university upon their return from Cancun (Sept. 3rd.). I have been on hold for the Travelocity for the past 1 1/2 hours waiting to talk to an agent and waited online for United Airlines for 1 hour before their system cut me off.
Does anyone out there know how making changes to an existing travel package works. The package included airfare, hotel at the Barcelo Maya Colonial, and transfers to/from the airport. Is there normally a service charge to make a change? Is it true that the subsequent trip must occur within 7 days of the original trip? If so, what if the traveller can't make it during this timeframe?
As an aside, does anyone know if the Barcelo property in the Mayan Rivieria is equipped with all the required emergency equipment in the event of a hurricane. I know that the hotel installed metal gates on all patio doors immediately after Hurricane Wilma. Are there emergency generators, enough food and water for all guests during the emergency, etc.