We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week before christmas.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
week before christmas.

i understand christmas week is crowded- what is Cancun like the week before?

also I have heard about some special event at Chichen Itza on December 20th.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,908 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: week before christmas.

We were in Cancun last year the week before Christmas. It was wonderful. Enough people to be enjoyable but not too busy. We went down to do our Christmas shopping (even though we live 15 minutes from the Mall of America). The restaurants are all open with customers but not a rush. It was a very pleasant time to visit, frankly. We enjoyed it so much we're planning on doing it again this year.

Cheryl

michigan
Level Contributor
412 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week before christmas.

dacarr

The week before xmas is not as busy as after. We are going the 16th-23rd. Got air fare for 350 nonstop from detroit. The prices are much cheaper also. The week after xams is the most expensive time to go. I have been there ten and it is a so busy, we wait three hours for dinner and airport is packed also.

The weather is nice, the only downfall, is there is not alot of day light. It gets dark around 6pm.

What special event happens at Chichen Itza? We may go also.

Hope this helps

Sandy

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: week before christmas.

thanks for your advice.we have booked Dreams Dec. 15-22. and it sounds like we made a good decision.

apparently Dec 21st (sorry not 20th) is the winter solstice, and the north & east sides of chichen itza are in total darkness, so they have some big celebration involving images of serpents and dance. and a light show.

I have been told about this from 2 other people, but I cant seem to find much about it to research on the internet.

kansas
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: week before christmas.

If you find any information on this, could you please let me know...We arrive at the Moon Palace Dec 20th-Dec 26th...Would love to see a special event like that

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: week before christmas.

that might just be the regular night show, I'm not 100% sure. To my knowledge the serpant shadows only occur at the autumnal and vernal equinoxes. I've never heard or read antyhing mentioned about the winter solstice except that the pyramid is positioned such that it marks it on the Mayan calendar.

6. Re: week before christmas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 18:17