We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Should we be worried about being pressured into buying a timeshare? We are not at all interested in purchasing a timeshare and do not have the means to do so even if we could.

What is the best way to handle this?

Michigan
Level Contributor
976 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

1. Don't vacation there.

2. Don't accept an invitation to a sales presentation

3. Tell them you have no interest and walk out of any presentation.

4. Don't worry about being rude.

Assuming you are already planning to stay there, follow numbers 2, 3, and 4. If you got a special rate to attend a presentation, follow 3 and/or 4.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Oh....:(

We had no idea....

We did not get any special deal and do not intend to attend a timeshare presentation. We just wanted to have a nice vacation.

We have not had a vacation in seven years....

Somebody make me feel better or something....

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Should I try to cancel this hotel and go someplace else????

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Nancy,

Why should we not stay at the gr solaris?

This is costing us A LOT of $ and we will have to save up for several more years to have another vacation...

We are willing and able to pay more (somewhat) if need be to make this an incredible vacation....

Do you have a recommendation for a hotel at a comparable (or slightly more expensive) price?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

The time share people are everywhere in Cancun, not just at the GR Solaris.

We stayed there for two weeks. At check-in, our concierge asked if we would be interested in joining their "club". We asked if it was in fact a timeshare, she said it was and we said "No Thank You, Not Interested". That was the last we heard about it at the GR.

We were approached a lot while out in the streets - and we always said that "Sorry, Leaving Tomorrow" as we walked right on by them. No problems there either.

Just say no and keep walking, and if they persist, just say no and keep walking.

You will love the GR Solaris - have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

we too say we are leaving tomorrow. just walk by them. no reason to ruin a vacation over it, one guy asked my husband and i if we were married. i said yes but not to each other- (white lie right?)

timeshare lost interest- more money in married couple

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

JacieTrudeau:

do not stop for people in the Cancun airport, even if they claim to be with your tour agency. No tour agents are in the Airport, your agent will be outside with a sign, other than that just say no.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

I wouldn't cancel over the Timeshare people, I have found that a firm no thankyou is sufficient. Although I like to play a game with them. We always book last minute and get fantastic prices. I tell them what I got the trip for and taking into consideration additinal costs timeshare buyers pay, the airfare, maintenance fee and all inclusive cost if they can beat the price I payed.. Guess what they never can.. Have fun.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Jacie,

I have my first Cancun trip booked for the GRS also (October!!) so I can't speak for Cancun per se, but I have traveled all over the world and time share "sharks" are in many other places as well and I've always dealt with them the same way, "No thank-you" and if they persist, I just say that I'm broke and my parents paid for our trip as a honeymoon gift... (again with the "white-lie") and they leave me alone. I have also read reviews on almost every hotel here on trip advisor and on a few other sites... and I don't think you can find a place in Cancun where you will not be approached so go... have fun... be firm yet polite and you'll have a GREAT time - it's all about attitude!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
iowa
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: GR Solaris timeshare pressure.

Have stayed at GR Solaris twice. Both times we were politely asked if we would be interested in meeting with representatives over breakfast and review the hotel amenties. Knew immediately that this was there pitch to get you to do the timeshare presentation. Each time we politely explained that we were not interested. We were never bothered by them again. I believe that the GR is one of the few places that do not pressure you if you state up front that you have not interest in the presentation. However, if you show the slightest interested, I guess then they my jump on the opportunity and hound you a little harder. If you really do not want to take part, politely decline, and you should have no further problem. The GR is a great place to stay, and they have a very attentative staff, without be overly pushy.